Camping at WalMart

Great sites and sights at Wallyworld
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?p=38572

Ripping off Waltons not the point
The point was that people who plan on spending every night “camping” at Walmarts are taking up space that was offered for last-resort use by those really needing it. Which happens to probably every road-tripper at some time.

And yes, that was a thread hijack.

I do it frequently when traveling.
It doesn’t make sense to roll into a campground late in the evening, setup and then leave early in the morning. I just find a rest stop, truck stop or Wal-Mart. Also, it is easier to find a Wal-Mart on the back roads since Wal-Mart wants to find the store.

I’ll Jump!

– Last Updated: Mar-10-11 2:57 PM EST –

Its not always a matter of money. If you just show up in the Santa Cruz area during a summer weekend chances are good you will spend all night looking, and still not find a vacancy at any campground. Not even at the overflow in the parking lot. Assuming you already know where all the campgrounds are. Not even at $70 a night at the Santa Cruz KOA. Or a motel room for less than $200.

Over night parking on the Pacific Coast Highway is prohibited. Back in the day, I did a lot of commando camping in my truck, including the Walmart.

These days I have an annual schedule, and I do not go to the beaches around Santa Cruz between Memorial Day and Labor day. If I want to go to the beach in summer, I go all the way up to Mendocino

Now I make all my beach reservations for spring exactly six months ahead. At 8:00 AM on the first of the month. Even at that, I usualy do not get the really best sites for April or May. Its like trying to be the first caller for a radio contest

As long as the management doesn’t mind
then you’re good. But it is their property and they have the right to tow you if they want, so if they ask you to leave, then just politely move on.

I Converted My Conversion Van
I took out the rear sofa, built a platform, and had a custom mattress made for it. Its about 6’6" long and 6" wide. It now has four captains chairs, and a large bed on wheels. Its got a raised roof, so I can stand up in it.

Keep the chairs, lantern, stove, and coffee pot under the bed.

I spend about every other weekend at the beach in spring. To get primo ocean view campsites, I make all my reservations six months ahead, so I stay at a state park with nice bathrooms and showers.

The gas mileage is awful, but the beach is less than 100 miles away.

I can not get boats on the roof, and the longest kayak I can carry inside is about 10’, but that is OK for kayak surfing.

WARNING: I bought a '92 Chevy that was top of the line back in the day, but wore out. I paid very little for it, but it was real money pit for several years.

My preference would be a newer six cylinder cargo van with just two nice captains chairs, a bed, and a lounge area with nice carpets in between. I would get a regular roof with a walk on roof rack for boats.

But I have been informed that the van will be replaced with a Class C RV

call it whatever you want
He asked about parking his camper at wal-mart. Those opposed to it are telling him why and giving him food for thought as well as alternatives.

Travel the old highways
rather than the interstates. If you plan ahead there are small towns with little campgrounds, some free others pretty cheap, that are far better than the Wallyworld parking lot. You will see some nice parts of America that way and likely meet some nice people.

I cant believe<br />some of these posts. Some of you would really go through all the all the agravations of saftey concerns<br /> and police bothering you while trying sleep rather than pay a few bucks for a RV park for the night. Wow!<br /> One word comes to mind. CHEAP. Im on the road in my 5th wheel 4-5 months a year. Never have even considered a rest stop or some parking lot. Have been RVing for a few years now so I think I know what I`m talking about.But hey if you want all the agravation of “steath” RVing knock yourself out.

I live in a resort area and
our local Walmart is not overloaded with trailers. Usually two or three.

Walmarts don’t usually have lovely lake views or lovely anything that people would prefer.

Hence “camping every night” at Walmart is not likely to happen.

Looking for a WM Sunday night enroute to Florida in the Raleigh area. Otherwise I will just take three catnaps in rest areas.

The Wally World . . .
. . . parking lot is the center of small town society much like the town square was in the old days. The local Wally World welcomes RVs and there are usually several including million dollar rigs parked there every night.

Not me, I wouldn’t do it myself
I don’t even have an RV, but if I did, I’d probably seek out an RV park or a truck stop. I was just trying to refrain from passing judgement on rjh, and just restricted my answer to the security and logistical issues. I’m giving the benefit of the doubt here, that maybe he’s been driving a long time, having trouble keeping his eyes open, having trouble finding an RV park, truck stop, or rest area that’s safe and well-lit, and so might resort to a Wal Mart parking lot.

amen to that
I’m with ya. I’ll add that I’m not sure why a community supposedly possessing the values we do would want to stifle any opposition or words of consideration regarding camping/parking your rv in giant hard-surfaced parking lots. But maybe my perception of kayakers and canoeists is skewed.

additionally
…it certainly isn’t making friends of the adjacent residents of wal-marts.

Oh to be old and retired…
When you are retired and time isn’t an issue then it certainly is easier to plan ahead. When you have limited vacation time at work and want to get the most out the vacation for your young children you do what you have to.

Its just a place to rest along the way. Never spent more than 8hrs at Walmart.

Again its not about the money
Its just a stop to get some rest. Its safer than truck stops and rest areas and it doesn’t take a space that a trucker needs. If I were retired and had all the time in the world to stop at RV parks along the way I would. But I have a job and they only allow me so many days off. I drive 12-16hrs at a time and sometimes more. If I planned to be off the road by 6 every night then it would be another story.

Very likely

Recent experience.
This past weekend I drove from East Texas to Madison WI for my first Canoecopia. (WOW!) Traveling with dogs…i had reservations at a motel 6 in Madison(dogs stay free). But the 18+hours on the road meant a stop somewhere along the interstate. I ended up staying at a Flying J in Effingham Illinois both ways. The trucks were parked on one side of the building and had their own entrance. On the other side of the pumps was an area with signage for RV and cars. Not a large area, but both Thursday night and Sunday night it was nearly full with mostly nice RVs and a few other vehicles. I felt like I was supposed to be there and parked closer to the pumps with good light and visibility. Filled my tank each time. No one moving carts or mechanically cleaning the parking lot at 3 am. One of my better truck stop experiences. I don’t mind going a long distance alone…but when it’s time to stop its time to stop…even if only for a few hours. I loved Canoecopia!!!

:wink:

another great suggestion
One approach I use often.

I travel almost as much as others here and while I’ve often needed a safe and accessible stop for the night, I’ve never had to resort to a wal-mart parking lot.