Campsite Recipes

Does anyone do anything ‘special’ with what they bake on their trips?

I make bannock with whole wheat flour and white chocolate chips. I also add powdered peanuts or malt too.

baking

– Last Updated: Oct-03-15 12:39 PM EST –

I usually bring a Dutch Oven on most trips. Now I use an aluminum one. It makes everything from pizza to cakes easy. I like stacked enchiladas a lot.

Last June I made a cake for my 65th birthday on the river in Oregon. Poppy seed cake with crushed pineapple and maraschino cherries.

Recipes
I don’t have baking recipes, I don’t do much baking in the field. I was wondering if you would share your bannock recipe, thanks

Sure
3 c Flour (I use whole wheat or amaranth)

2 tbsp sugar

1 c Powdered milk (or liquid milk and SKIP water)

1/2 c Crisco shortening

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp Baking powder

*I add 1/2 c chocolate chips, you can add anything really. Coconut, honey, peanut butter, etc. This recipe is quite tolerant of additions.

Add enough water to make large dough ball. Spread into greased pan, I like it thick so I use a 8x8 pan.

Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until light brown.

Note: I use this for camping trips so I pre-mix everything MINUS water in ziplock bags. At camp I only need to dump bag into bowl and add water…then bake.

re: Campsite Recipes
Most foods you can grill or use a stove but since you mentioned “baking” my best method is using a camp Dutch oven where you can place coals below as well as on the lid to radiate heat downwards and cook just about anything you can on a stove top plus bake items most folks don’t usually enjoy when camping such as: breads, pizzas and desserts. Just about any recipe for your kitchen oven can be adapted. Most lids can be flipped and used as griddles. I pack a 14"/8-quart Camp Chef Dutch oven in a Pelican Case (model 1550) to protect it and keep it buoyant. I fill the oven and case with as many additional items that fit to save on other cargo space. I place the oven in the campfire and use coals from the fire but bringing charcoal provides more consistent results. I use a pair of pliers to handle the hot oven. Recipes I’ve done at camp include: fruit cobblers, pineapple upside down cake, chocolate desserts, pecan pie, pizzas, gumbo, paella and baked beans.

re: Campsite Recipes
Here are links to some of my recipes. Let me know if you want more, otherwise there are a ton of others on the web…

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6852

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6851

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6850

Pecan Pie Cobbler
That sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharing!

I use a dutch oven on occasion but I’m still trying to get my cook time right. I end up digging it up early or late.

I use a reflector oven mostly that lets me keep my eye on things and check temps.

bannock

– Last Updated: Aug-31-15 6:00 PM EST –

I bring along a mix that's good for pancakes and bannock
1 part each:
tapioca flour
coconut flour
buckwheat groats ground
tigernut flour
ova easy egg crystals
powdered goat milk

plus a little salt and baking powder

just add water and cook!

serve slathered with clarified butter and raw honey

WILD OATS
eyeyeyhhahahh wild oats…at Walmart

tomato with basil soup (no boil-excellent) with WO garbanzo bean or kidney beans with a can of tuna soaked in lemon dill.

boil some orzo for energy

very civilized.

nails are cut with an electrical wiring diagonal wire plier cutters …duh