Can anyone recommend a paddle float model

I need to update and am not so happy with my old one (leaky valve, difficult to get all the air out when trying to put away, valve placement makes it difficult to fold under deck bungies. I’ve always been of a mind to prefer the 2-chambered models, but thats only one consideration. And oh yeah, this is for a Greenland paddle (though I think most work reasonably well on both GP and euro blades)… Thanks

I have two Seattle Sports paddle floats. I selected this particular model for no other reason than it was available locally and seemed of decent quality. I’ve had them for a few years now and have been satisfied with the operation and durability. One lives on deck, so is more faded than the other that gets tucked away in a hatch as a backup for longer trips. Other than the colour loss, the plastic does not seem to be highly compromised by the effects of UV light.

These are double-chambered, with separate valves and tubes for each one. Occasionally I find the valve a bit difficult to turn due to poor plastic injection moulding quality control of the parts. However, it has never been difficult enough to cause me concern.

One modification that I made was to cut large drain holes in the pocket where the paddle sits. This facilitates the elimination of water from the paddle pocket as you’re lifting it following your recovery. It also allows better air circulation for drying your gear later on. In the Seattle Sports model, there is a “dummy” pocket at the bottom that does not get inflated, so it is safe to cut through this. Some models may not, so check it out thoroughly before you do this.

When I use it I wrap the straps around the paddle two times before buckling. This makes it stay put very nicely on a euro blade. With a Greenland Paddle it isn’t possible to wrap twice, and the shape of the paddle means that it cannot be well-secured, so you just have to be careful and watch that it doesn’t slip off in use. That said, I doubt you’re going to find one that’s specifically designed to work with a skinny stick because it isn’t part of the culture of Greenland Paddling.

I figure that if I’m solo’ing I’ll put the paddle float on deck. I figure that if I capsize it is rough and likely cold. I’m not fiddling with a lot of inflating or tieing of knots. So I use the foam kind. But in reality I use Qruiser. She’s usually not far away and ready to help. An assisted rescue for trained personnel is pretty fast.

http://www.nrs.com/product/1598.5/nrs-foam-paddle-float

@Overstreet said:
I figure that if I’m solo’ing I’ll put the paddle float on deck. I figure that if I capsize it is rough and likely cold. I’m not fiddling with a lot of inflating or tieing of knots. So I use the foam kind. But in reality I use Qruiser. She’s usually not far away and ready to help. An assisted rescue for trained personnel is pretty fast.

http://www.nrs.com/product/1598.5/nrs-foam-paddle-float

I had to look Qruiser up…and was a bit surprised! Would it be fair to say though that you aren’t referring to https://www.qruiser.com - the “largest Nordic Community for homo, bisexual, transgender or queer people and our friends?” Not that I think there’s anything wrong with that. It just seems like an odd group to contact when you’re out of your boat and in need of assistance.

@Monkeyhead said:

I had to look Qruiser up…and was a bit surprised! Would it be fair to say though that you aren’t referring to https://www.qruiser.com - the “largest Nordic Community for homo, bisexual, transgender or queer people and our friends?” Not that I think there’s anything wrong with that. It just seems like an odd group to contact when you’re out of your boat and in need of assistance.

LOL… ditto when I looked it up. Farther down there were some more likely references. :wink:

I use foam Northwater in winter I go out alone a lot. Seals makes one too. Seals and Seattle Sports blow up floats.

@Monkeyhead said

It just seems like an odd group to contact when you’re out of your boat and in need
Are you guys old enough to be out by yourselves? Good grief.

Just a little good-natured frivolity

@Overstreet said:

@Monkeyhead said

It just seems like an odd group to contact when you’re out of your boat and in need
Are you guys old enough to be out by yourselves? Good grief.

:wink: I know. …

@Monkeyhead said:
I need to update and am not so happy with my old one (leaky valve, difficult to get all the air out when trying to put away, valve placement makes it difficult to fold under deck bungies. I’ve always been of a mind to prefer the 2-chambered models, but thats only one consideratio. And oh yeah, this is for a Greenland paddle (though I think most work reasonably well on both GP and euro blades)… Thanks

I have a Seattle Sports dual chamber paddle float. It works very well on my Euro paddle but I’ve never tried it on my Lumpy GP. I was curious so tonight I did.

Surprisingly, it works quite nicely…at least in my den. I can close the buckle and blow up both chambers. I couldn’t get it to slip off, but plan to try it tomorrow in the water to see if that makes any difference.

I’ve used my NRS paddle float on a GP for a re-enter & roll. It worked & didn’t come off although it was a bit loose.

@Rookie said:
Surprisingly, it works quite nicely…at least in my den. I can close the buckle and blow up both chambers. I couldn’t get it to slip off, but plan to try it tomorrow in the water to see if that makes any difference.

Well, after this I had to try it again too. Turns out I was also able to get it to work in my kitchen just now. I could just barely get it done up after the second turn and with some force it would slide about 6" down but not slide right off. I didn’t bother to inflate it though. From what I recall last time I tried in the water, I wasn’t able to get a second wrap around it. Maybe I just didn’t try hard enough, or maybe it’s more difficult while bobbing around. My paddle is also probably larger than most.