Can I Add a Slot to Thule Square Bars?

I have to say that while concerns about the strength are somewhat valid. However, we can’t make that call without seeing a set of Thule slotted bars. It is entirely possible that Thule is using the same stock and it meets there specs. It is also entirely possible that Thule changed the profile of the bars so that everyone has to buy new ones. That is what Pikabike is asking. So, anybody have that info?

Using an image editor, I scaled off the photo of the end cross section of the slotted bar that I posted previously. The bar dimensions including section thickness appear to be the same as some old, non-slotted, bars that I have. Thule’s steel square bars all have a weld seam, some down a long side and some down a short side. I found another photo (didn’t save the link) that showed the slot in a slotted bar has been cut right down the middle of the weld seam. The end of the slot is rounded so they must just cut it on a milling machine.

I’m confident that anyone with the equipment to cut a slot in an existing Thule bar (one with the weld down a long side) can essentially make a non-slotted bar into a slotted bar. However, I understand that’s not a conclusion that everyone will feel comfortable with.

2 Likes

I respect the opinions of those who commented on whether I “should” consider cutting a slot into older Thule bars. Everyone has their own risk tolerance as well as tolerance for DIY projects. As far as the question of “can” I add a slot? The answer is yes. Here is a set of rusty, old square bars that I practiced on with an angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel. I got my new Evo clamps in the mail and they engage the slots just fine. In the photo, one slot looks wider than the other but I think that’s just due to the camera perspective plus the plastic cover lifting a bit.

Slots

3 Likes

Curious have you used them on your vehicle? Let me know how well they worked. Assume you measured, drill a hole at the end and grinded the slots to the drill hole. I have a similar dilemma and will do the same. My original older square slotted bars are too narrow for my new vehicle so I bought new bars and surprised they didn’t have the slots in them. They are identical in size and gauge of metal as the slotted narrower bars I have. Just a simple measure and grind the slots and my existing Thule feet can fit perfectly into the new bars and fit my vehicle.

1 Like

I’ve mounted them on the car and tried pushing a pulling to see if they felt solid, which they did. But it will be spring before I need to use my rack. And yes, I drilled a hole and used a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder to cut each side of the slot. Interestingly, the black plastic cover didn’t melt or weaken from the heat.

1 Like

I just realized that I my old non-slotted bars will not work with the Thule raised rail kit. Any verdict on how successful your DIY approach was?

It worked fine. I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel to make the cuts. The plastic cover survived well and didn’t melt.

Good to know. I’m guessing for short-haul trips with light loads, it’s a decent workaround. But I’m guessing a splurge to the new load bars maybe in my future for longer trips.

I’ve ended up not using my modified bars either. I rigged up a sort of custom loading system and that worked better with wider bars so I’m using some used Thule aero bars now.

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead but I’m in a slightly different pickle. I got the new podium and opted for the largest crossbars. Little did I know that the 60” bars are not slotted deep enough to fit my little Impreza. Do you think I would lose any integrity from the system by cutting .5-1” from each end to make it fit? I think it would be fine but I’ve been wrong before.

No one can give you an absolute answer, but I don’t see any risk in making the modification. Just make sure that the ends of your cuts are radiused a bit at the corners so that you don’t create any stress concentrations.

Were you successful with you modification? I’m in the same pickle, ordered the 60” square bars for my Escape and same problem. I need to extend the slots about two inches.