can one handle a two person kayak?

i am interested in getting a kayak for fishing and duck hunting and for fishing my brother would be going, but for hunting i would be alone and the extra room would be great for dekes and other gear. my question is, can a single paddler handle a 2 man kayak? conditions would be calm to fairly breezy, in small guts and canals, semi open to close water. what are good two man models? thanks for any help!

Heck yes

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 10:56 AM EST –

to answer your first question.

Might be challenging (shooting and paddling) but it can certainly be done. Keeping the gun from getting wet I think (???) will probably be the hardest part.

Paddlin' on
Richard

got a friend
that paddles a Valley 22’ dbl. w/his dog Moose . Couse Moose doesn’t paddle but Steve does . He fishes from it w/Moose . They used to live in Everglades City an paddled that area . Not a problem for HIM .

When I first started paddling the only yak I had was a Klepper dbl. an I paddled that by myself back then no problem . So it’s very do-able. Good luck !

I’ve found w/dog owners the biggest problem w/paddling with them is keepin em IN the yak.

M

Depends on length

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 11:17 AM EST –

Really long doubles (ones like 22ft) are hard to paddle alone and not a lot of fun.

There are many "recreational" doubles that work OK as singles. These tend to be much shorter and the two paddlers are closer together (which means they have to work a bit at coordinating strokes). Many of these shorter kayaks (that have one big cockpit) let you paddle them from a middle position.

Of course, a shorter kayak might not really be big enough for two people to fish from.

(You could get two singles.)

yes
There is an event that takes place out here where people with various disabilities are taken out to participate in various water sport. I volunteered to help with the kayaking. We used Necky doubles (about 18-20 long ones). Experienced paddler in the back, passenger in the front. Worked just fine.

Some recreational boats, like the Old Town Loons, can actually be switched between single and double (seats slide to allow you a single position in the center, or 2 seats spread out).

I have an OT Loon 160T
T=Tandem, 16 ft long. It paddles very well single, and would hold a lot of stuff, your dekes, blind, guns, lunch, etc. It has a big open cockpit so gettin gto the various stuff shouldn’t be a problem. It’s boringly stable, so paddling to the hunting ground also shouldn’t cause much concern. Depending on your sizes and how much stuff you take, two can fish from it. It handles better if trimmed well fore and aft, or at least stern heavy.

Will you hunt from the kayak, or paddle to a blind?

Good hunting.

Rudders
The mainstay of our rental fleet are 20’ tandems (Boreal Esperantos). A lot of our customers are parents with young children who put the kids in the front cockpit and paddle from the rear one.

The rudder is what makes it possible for even beginners to easily steer the kayak.

OT Loon 160T
I have a forest green 160T and I would also recommend it for what you’re talking about. The seat can be adjusted as needed for a single paddler. It’s very stable. Mine doesn’t have a rudder, and I find it tracks very well (always put the heavier person in back). I mostly paddle sea kayaks, but I use it quite a bit to take Otis(dog)out, or something like Independence Day when my girlfriend and I sat in the river to have a few beers and watch fireworks. If you’re hunting and fishing, this boring level of stability is a good thing. In waters big enough to swamp this boat you likely won’t be hunting or fishing out of a kayak anyway. The outfitter I bought it from had quite a rental fleet - sea kayaks, racing kayaks, recreational boats, whitewater boats, canoes, etc. They carried similar Old Town, Perception, and Wilderness Systems tandems. He told me the Old Towns held up better overall than the others - a combination of hull strength and the hardware along with it. He showed me examples on some of the rental fleet. It’s a tough boat and has held up great for me even with the salt water. I would describe it as having decent speed for a recreational kayak. Figured I’d share since it was brought up and I’m more than happy with mine.

Necky

– Last Updated: Aug-20-08 2:20 PM EST –

makes a tandem, the Amuruk, which I have paddled alone and with a friend---18 feet long, 28 inches wide and I think weighs about 90 lbs--it is very stable, but not as stable as my former(sniff) OT Tripper which I also paddled alone---the question that Eric Nye asked above is pertinent---wouldn't a canoe be the better boat for what you want to do?

heck yeah
i have a Pamlico 160, its more of a “decked canoe” but I actually paddle it better alone or with my daughter. When the wife and I paddle it together, well theirs a reason they call tandems divorce boats, unless your like Jack & Nancy.

Your biggest problem isn’t going …
to be paddling one.

Any intermediate paddler should be able to.

Your biggest problem is going to be lifting it and carrying it.

Those tupperware tandems weigh a ton.

I have a friend that has one and he has actually jury rigged a electric winch with a combination of rollers to get it on his truck because of it’s weight.

Cheers,

JackL

Another vote for the Loon Tandem

– Last Updated: Aug-21-08 1:59 AM EST –

We have an O.T. Loon 138T, which I sometimes take out alone when I go with a rec paddle group. After sliding the forward seat to center, paddling the boat is a blast - tracks well and is quite maneuverable. There is more tendency to weathercock paddling solo in windy conditions.

There is plenty of room for gear, etc.; I rigged up a removable "work deck" panel with a Scotty fishing rod mount, carved from a poly cutting board. It is shaped to slide up into the front of the coaming grooves. Unlike an SOT rigged for fishing, this type of arrangement will keep you and your gear dry (possibly not if you fire a double barrel 12 gauge broadside).

O.T no longer makes the 138T; just the 160T, because (so I am told)it is too small for many tandem paddlers. One of my buddies paddles an O.T. Twin Otter for the same reason you inquired about - great for these sporting activities. You can get new boats already outfitted , or order gear to retrofit an older boat.

Good luck in your choice!

Yes
Think Klepper. Can often be found used for about a grand.

I do it all the time
When I first started taking my stepson out, he didn’t do much paddling, just sat in the front. Only time it is difficult is if you have to paddle upwind in decent wind, keeping the bow pointed into it is tough.

Preferred to use tandem alone
I primarily use a Wilderness Systems 150 tandem kayak alone and have no problems handling it. It is a little heavy, at 70 lbs to maneuver by yourself and around 15’ but a yak cart can help.

This kayak is very stable in the water and often I take my 80 lb lab and I feel completely comfortable.

Pamlico 135
I used to paddle my tandem Pamlico 135 solo on occasion. As has been mentioned, it’s a little rough loading (weight wise) but once on the water it handles as well as any solo. The tandem Pamlico’s have a wide range of adjustments for moving the front seats to a more centered position.

Native Ultimate 14.5 tandem
The Ultimate 14.5 tandem seats can be reconfigured for solo paddling. Even has armrests in the center position. The boat weighs in at 62lbs, but the seats are 6lbs each, so removing them brings it to a manageable weight.

This is lighter than most plastic tandems. Ultimate also tracks better than most tandems, and is very stable with gear and/or dog. Check out the link and then, demo it.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14T.cfm

My two man kayak
I live in Torquay in Devon and I have recently bought a two man kayak and want to go out in the rivers or the sea and use it for fishing as I have also recently bought a freezer for the apartment and I want to fill it with fish to eat as I am retired and want to make good use of my spare time