can someone recommend a beginner kayak for fishing on the bay

Hi i am looking to buy my first kayak but i am short on money so i would like to keep it under $800

1. I am 6 ft tall and weigh 160
    2, i will be fishing in the Chesapeake bay so the water isnt as calm as say a lake.
  2. I was looking to get a tarpon but cant decide between the 100 or 120. Whats the difference other than length?
  3. lastly i was wondering where u can buy a kayak for cheap.

If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it and have suggestions for other kayaks. Thanks!

A Wilderness Systems Tarpon would be a good choice. The 100 is 10 feet long, and the 120 is 12 feet long. A 12 footer would be better or speed & handling. You might be able to find a used one if you keep looking.

WS Tarpon 120 is better than Tarpon 100 as it is faster, has a bigger tank and greater weight capacity. But i recommend you look for some other stable sit-on-top kayak for fishing. Kayak appropriate for beginners and you can easily stand on too. Perception R15 Pescador 120 sit-on-top kayak seems like a good option to me keeping your budget in mind. My first kayak was Sun Dolphin aruba 10 and i had a good experience.

For you second question : Search tarpon 120 craigslist.org in order to find cheap kayaks.

And get a minimum of a 140 unless you like spending all your time just getting there.
Length = speed.

Buy bigger. Whatever you can fit on your car. You can’t easily add a foot or two after the purchase.

Check with Academy Sports. They have good prices on beginner kayaks.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heritage-angler-10-ft-sit-on-top-fishing-kayak#repChildCatid=1036408

There is really no such thing as a “beginner kayak”. Get the best boat suited for your purpose and you will learn to use it. If you are learning to drive on a highway you don’t start with a golf cart and if you plan to ride a bicycle on trails you don’t start with a single speed bike with training wheels.

10’ boats are a poor choice for open water such as you are describing - they are for shallow creeks and small ponds. 12’ is a bare minimum and for any place where you could encounter off shore winds, currents and waves you would be more secure in a 14’ or longer boat. The question isn’t stability, it’s whether you can get back in to shore in rough weather without exhausting yourself. And whether the boat has enough displacement to allow you to climb back in easily should you dump it.

I disagree with Dave on Academy Sports as a good choice for your first boat. I have been unimpressed with their lines of boats (heavy and clunky or flimsy and cheap models for the most part) and the lack of kayak-specific knowledge of their personnel. Better to find an outfitter who specializes more in wilderness sports like kayak touring and backpacking. I have yet to see a store that sells golf clubs, hunting gear and soccer jerseys that can responsibly advise a beginning kayaker on appropriate purchases.

With a budget of $800 you should be able to find a decent used boat, even with a good paddle and PFD thrown in. Folks starting out are usually better served by buying used - have some patience and keep looking at ads on Craigslist – don’t forget the classifieds on Paddling.com too. You can search by your local area. This is the time of year when people start cleaning out their garages for winter and some good deals can be had.

Also, outfits that rent and sell kayaks often liquidate their rental fleets and demo boats before the end of the year so that they can take a tax break on them (otherwise they may have to pay tax on them as “inventory”). If you can find a good dealer in your area, ask them if they have any boats like that or even trade-ins.