Can the cold water this time of year in Ohio damage my boat?

For those who haven’t seen my other posts, I just recently got an Old Town Dirogo 120. It is made of polyethylene. It is going to be 54 and sunny this Sunday and I’m very tempted to take my new boat for a spin on a little local river. Temperatures have been pretty chilly around here lately, I have no idea what the water temp is/will be Sunday but I have to imagine very cold. Would you advise against this, can cold water potentially damage or weaken a boat in any way or would getting cold water into any invisible cracks or crevices in the boat cause it to freeze/expand? Just want to be safe, I really want to paddle but I can wait if there’s any risk. Thanks!

my concern is not about the boat but you, do you have cold water immersion wear? wetsuit, drysuit, what’s your plan if you accidently end up in the drink?

As far as the boat goes, it’s poly so some shape shifting is likely to occur in extreme heat, not so much on the cold end of the spectrum. Plastic does get a bit more brittle as it gets colder, just take some care not to drop it on the asphalt. Drain completely. If you had airbags they can freeze and get damaged if you attempt to move them while frozen. Boats are meant to be used. So go out but be safe as well. Dress for the swim. The boat will be fine, not so sure about you.

@tdaniel said:
my concern is not about the boat but you, do you have cold water immersion wear? wetsuit, drysuit, what’s your plan if you accidently end up in the drink?

As far as the boat goes, it’s poly so some shape shifting is likely to occur in extreme heat, not so much on the cold end of the spectrum. Plastic does get a bit more brittle as it gets colder, just take some care not to drop it on the asphalt. Drain completely. If you had airbags they can freeze and get damaged if you attempt to move them while frozen. Boats are meant to be used. So go out but be safe as well. Dress for the swim. The boat will be fine, not so sure about you.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I considered hypothermia but I’ve been told Old Towns are nearly impossible to tip. The only risk would be entering and exiting right? I guess that’s enough to consider. Should I just wait for Spring?

Hey Ohioguy don’t be naive and assume nothing will happen to you. Bad things happen when you least expect it! That water is cold if you end up in the water you probably will not make it out. You already have a reputation of not following sound advice.

You color coordinated your gear so you should be fine. Just go paddle your boat

First rule of boating I ever learned…“Rig to flip. Dress to swim.” No such thing as a boat that’s impossible to tip over. So, if you want to go paddle, then go paddle, but…rig to flip and dress to swim.

@shiraz627 said:
Hey Ohioguy don’t be naive and assume nothing will happen to you. Bad things happen when you least expect it! That water is cold if you end up in the water you probably will not make it out. You already have a reputation of not following sound advice.

Thanks, I prob won’t go now. It’s just tempting as hell, a beautiful day like that when it’s almost December and I got this brand new boat I’m itching to paddle. 4 months seems like an eternity.

@PaddleHome said:
You color coordinated your gear so you should be fine. Just go paddle your boat

Lol hilarious

@Raftergirl said:
First rule of boating I ever learned…“Rig to flip. Dress to swim.” No such thing as a boat that’s impossible to tip over. So, if you want to go paddle, then go paddle, but…rig to flip and dress to swim.

How much is a wet suit though, at least $200?

COME ON. This guy can’t be for real. “Impossible to tip over”? The Titanic was “impossible” to sink. I wish his kayaking skills were as developed as his trolling skills.

@Ohioguy25 said:

@shiraz627 said:

Thanks, I prob won’t go now. It’s just tempting as hell, a beautiful day like that when it’s almost December and I got this brand new boat I’m itching to paddle. 4 months seems like an eternity.

Do a road trip south to FL where the weather is ideal.

Think Titanic unsinkable. 4 months from now the water will be even colder. You need to research the dangers of cold water paddling.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Think Titanic unsinkable. 4 months from now the water will be even colder. You need to research the dangers of cold water paddling.

So how far into spring before the water is warm enough to paddle safely?

Some of us paddle all year round, but we have invested in cold water gear and have paddled for many years. Take baby steps, you’ll live longer.

I swam in this before paddling and did a couple of rolls before heading out.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

How did you manage not to spill your coffee? :wink:

I wish I could find more people local to me that had this attitude.

@Sparky961 said:

How did you manage not to spill your coffee? :wink:

It was frozen

Ohioguy check out the NRS website… There are lots of closeouts on 3mm wetsuits… Not $200. Wetsuits have to fit snug to keep you warm… If you are going to want to paddle into the winter it will pay itself back quickly… A shame to wait four months for a few bucks… Remember what money you saved by going through that lunacy.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

Damn that’s crazy where is that? And what kind of boat is that?

@kayamedic said:
Ohioguy check out the NRS website… There are lots of closeouts on 3mm wetsuits… Not $200. Wetsuits have to fit snug to keep you warm… If you are going to want to paddle into the winter it will pay itself back quickly… A shame to wait four months for a few bucks… Remember what money you saved by going through that lunacy.

Nice, ya good point.