Can you attach bow/stern line to those "soft" stretching handles?

Again, an assembly error. The perimeter line should not be tied to the bungee cord. It should go through the cleat , snugged up all the way around with enough slack to just allow you to get your fingers around the line to hold onto the boat, and then knotted off after going through the cleat. The bungee cord should be knotted off separately in the same fashion. You may have to do some rearranging if there are too many lines to all fit under the one cleat.

With my boat, when the bungees needed replacing, I restrung them in a different way because I was unhappy with the original way they were done. I also redid the front perimeter lines because they didn’t extend all the way to the bow.

Sorry, forgot to note what model you have. With as many deck fittings as you already have on that Delta you could restring whatever lines you wanted on it. Have you tested to see if that length of static line actually stays in place? Could be locked in place by the bungee snugged in the fitting and not actually transfer the stretch from the bungee it is tied off to. Delta makes nice kayaks and I find it hard to believe they would design static lines that would not function as such.

I don’t think it’s an error. The website shows it like that. It’s just that the boat don’t have true perimeter line from factory IMO.

1 Like

Hey sorry. I’m still a noob to all of this so I’m nore sure how all these lines are set up. It is basically just a lenght of cord, wrapped around things and knotted off in most cases?

Have you tested to see if that length of static line actually stays in place? Could be locked in place by the bungee snugged in the fitting and not actually transfer the stretch from the bungee it is tied off to.

Do you mean like test it in it’s current state? If yes, then yeah, when I pull the perimeter line, it gives a bit of slack but then that knots makes the line solid. Isn’t that enough? Maybe I’m complete wrong here but I feel like they are doing a 2 in 1 type of thing maybe?

It’s possible that they did it that way to leave a little slack in the perimeter line. If so it looks like it will work.

It does look like a proper perimeter line. If it lacks reflective thread, they short changed you. Might be a supply problem.

I did shine a light on it to check but yeah no reflectiveness…

This yak isn’t new. bought it used. It’s 2-3 years old. But still, on the website it does not state reflective lines for that model specifically. All the 15.5 GTs since 2015 are the same generation.

Reflective line is a nice feature for night paddling, but hardly essential. Just something to keep in mind when it comes time to replace it. Deck line and bungees eventually wear out.

1 Like

For sure, already noticed that with the smaller bungee cord for the front handle ha! Would definitely like to redo that one.

Difficult to find a source though for getting proper bungee. I’m in Canada to so doesn’t help.

Reading the owner manual online and found the description. of the lines!

1. Perimeter Lines Our perimeter lines are shock corded and easy to grab with gloved
    hands for safe retrieval of your kayak in case of capsize and aid in rescue situations.

I guess that’s it!

Marine supply stores and kayak shops generally have good quality bungee, both in store and online.

1 Like

It appears this discussion has progressed. While I personally would not be a fan of my perimeter line being tied directly into any shock cord, it may be a thing with these boats.

My concern with that system is that it may hold the perimeter line too tight, like it would be challenging to get a gloved hand under it if you were swimming. I always leave a smidge of slack in my perimeter lines because of that. So the knot sits directly against a deck fitting. Then again I have never used the bungied carry handles so no appeal there, which appears to be part of the rational for tying the bungie directly into the perimeter line.

The reflective line can be nice, I have used it, depends on your paddling. It does help make you visible to boaters and night and in the fog.

1 Like

Get some solas tape on eBay 1/2" wide for reflection. Buy 3M reflective cord when you are ready. Topkayker.com has it.

The manufacturer designed the perimeter line to have bungie cord section to hold the line to follow the deck and by doing this, not have excess/slack line hanging loose. They just have enough tension that it is easy to grab the perimeter line if needed. I find this to be acceptable. Still have use of the line and keeps the boat looking neat.

I stopped worrying about my boats looking neat a long time ago. They are tools, albeit pretty ones, to do what you want to do.

I can get to what I need. Making sure of that is not always a friend of neat.

1 Like

Delta’s response was pretty much this bang on.

They also said, I can simply knot it closer to the fitting if I would like to reduce the slack. But I like it as it is now and I’m not very good at knotting… I’m having a difficult time learning knots haha so I’ll just leave it like that.

Truck stops also sell very inexpensive, but tough reflective tape used on tractor trailers in short lengths, as short as 12" for less than $1.

It’s 3" wide.

Appreciate the suggestion but I don’t think I’ll ever paddle at night anyways. If I do I’ll look into that!

If anyone is curious, had a great day out today! Was very windy but the Delta held well on the water and didn’t fall off the rack :joy:

Used the perimeter lines with the slack removed as my bow and stern.

2 Likes