Can you go faster on flatwater with a longer kayak paddle?

Oval comes from the latin word for egg.

o·val
/ˈōvəl/
adjective
having a rounded and slightly elongated outline or shape like that of an egg.

I got the dyslexia bad. I’m forever getting the eggs confused with the shoulders.

I bought my wife an oval from Australia.

YES!

I have been listening to similar commentary with similar responses for 25 years. First of all, don’t believe everything you are told. Remember the manufacturer and the shop are trying to sell the paddle that they have in stock. There is a simple, yet precise way to calculate your exact paddle length. All the minor variations i.e. Boat width, paddler height, blade shape, astrological sign etc… have minor influence on the paddle length. All the info you need comes from your shape, not the boats shape.

I am not sure that you should use a wing paddle in a Stinger XP. The blades have a twist in them to make them go at a 45 degree angle from the entry point. In a 24 inch boat that would be quite a ways out there. ONNO makes a feather style paddle that is almost as fast as a wing and is not meant for a 17-20 inch wide boat.

Because of the width of the boat get an adjustable paddle that stretches from 215-220 cm. Somewhere in there might fit you best. Use a length where you don’t have to use your forearms and elbows for control

My experience is as the former 9 time Florida state marathon kayak champion

I thought Onno was out of business?

@willowleaf said:
I thought Onno was out of business?

That’s my understanding, and last I saw it didn’t end well for some folks who had paid for paddles. Hopefully things were rectified, but several years ago threads like this one weren’t all that uncommon.
https://www.surfski.info/forum/1-general/18374-did-onno-paddles-steal-my-money.html

All these comments give credence to the need to try out a paddle in the boat you are using, making demo days a real value. The height of the boat, width, etc. all play a roll, too, so boat shape is a factor. Don’t get hung up on length. the difference between a 220 cm and 230 cm is only 4", 2" longer on each end. Using the same paddle length, you can gain reach by using a torso pivot instead of merely your arms as that pivot extends the paddle further than just your arm movement.

The only paddle I can remember that I really liked right out of the box and didn’t have to adjust to was a Saltwood,. I don’t know if they are made anymore. Even the paddle I use the most (Werner Camano) took some time to get used to.

The thought that you can walk into a paddle store and walk out with the best paddle that fits your body is a long shot in my experience. I also think the boat dimensions have to be considered. I went through a whole bunch of paddles before I settled on the ones I use now. I also was able to try out almost every paddle I ever considered buying, before I bought it. There was one that I thought was going to be great, but the store said if I didn’t like it, bring it back. Boy was I glad it was returnable. What a dog.

For beginners, don’t go cheap, but also don’t be surprised if you find yourself with a collection of wall decorations before you find what’s right for you.

I know ONNO had some problems a few years ago, but a friend got a paddle from them about three months ago. Compensation for those who lost money probably will not be forthcoming. He is trying to make another go at the business, but he is staying small this time.

Camano is a nice paddle. Wish I had access to different paddles.

I am ready to buy an aqua bound shred carbon whitewater in 200cm. It’s under 200. Definitely not an all-purpose paddle.

It’s probably a good paddle for a race I’m watching next Saturday. Some days after the race, once the gates are taken down, I hope to try the course a couple of times with this paddle, Then maybe participate next year.

Not spending a whole lot, so I can still get another paddle that is a bit longer and not so dedicated to whitewater.

To go fast get a longer boat that you think you want and a shorter paddle than you are used to and then learn to paddle faster not paddle harder. Paddling hard does not move the boat fast. Usually you are just lifting a bunch of water at the end of your stroke. Paddle fast to go fast, shorten the stroke, reach but try to have the paddle out of the water by the time it is near your knees. …and pick up the pace.

A 12 foot boat with a 230 paddle is going to be a pig, no matter how strong and fit you are, you won;t be able to keep up with the group.

arm @FrankNC said:

To go fast get a longer boat that you think you want and a shorter paddle than you are used to and then learn to paddle faster not paddle harder. Paddling hard does not move the boat fast. Usually you are just lifting a bunch of water at the end of your stroke. Paddle fast to go fast, shorten the stroke, reach but try to have the paddle out of the water by the time it is near your knees. …and pick up the pace.
s @FrankNC said:
This sounds like it would work great as long as your knees are directly attached to your butt, or your arms are longer than Plastic Man’s.

@FrankNC said:
To go fast get a longer boat …

Agreed.

@Overstreet said:

@FrankNC said:
To go fast get a longer boat …

Agreed.

Ditto