Canaveral NS/Mosquito Lagoon, FL

Hope to return to area this winter for more canoe camping. In past have camped @ NS designated campsites & noticed others openly camping in non-designated sites on spoil islands.

Official park service line is camping is allowed “only in designated sites”. Space Coast Paddlers club couldn’t advise if policy is enforced.

Anyone have any personal experience/knowledge if at large camping is tolerated ?

Thanx

Yes
Was there ~4 yrs ago and saw a park ranger power boat turn its spot light on a group of campers at night in a designated camping site about 3/4 mile away from where I was camping. Do not know what happened but assume they were not registered for that site that night. No one ever bothered me and I was registerd for all the sites I stayed at.

Now if you were at a non-designated site they would not know to look there, but if they saw you put in then they may look at night for lights and campfires as above.

Note that an offense in a National Park is a Federal offense. In some employment areas you can loose your job over a “trivial” offense in a NP because it is a Federal offense.

Titusville / Edgewater
There are plenty of islands in the Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon (Riverbreeze Park around Edgewater) that aren’t a part of the seashore you should be abale to camp. Camping on the beach is allowed with passes you can’t get from the Park Station at Titusville (PlayaLinda Beach) and New Smyrna Beach.

I live in Titusville and can check into further if you’d like.

Thanx tmikels
Appreciate the reply. We camped for 3 nights in the designated sites in the NS. It was while cruising the lagoon we saw others camped in non-designated sites on spoil islands. Drove around to Riverbreeze park & launched for a 4th free night on a heavily used site on a spoil island S of ICW marker #19. Noted obvious signs of camping in many non-designated sites but while doing so was concerned about getting approached by rangers & asked to leave. NS personnel ducked issue when asked (like they did re clothing optional beach beyond end of A1A!)

Wondered if camping S of Wildlife refuge boundary by ICW marker #19 was where it might be tolerated ??

Might you know if overnight parking is allowed at either of 2 ramps shown on Gazetteer between Shiloh & Allenhurst in Brevard Co? Thanx again