canoe appreciation?

There is a Curtis Ladybug that is in the classifieds. The seller is asking $1676 which is $656 more then the 1988 list price. The seller says that the canoe is never been used, but it sure seems like a out there price. I like to get more for a canoe then I paid for it, but that doesn’t seem reasonable.

you’re right
same with some older sailboats. i’d use price when it was new as a starting point and go down from there.

replacement cost
To me, the question isn’t what the canoe cost when it was new. Rather the question is what would it cost to replace that boat (or get something close) today. Of course, I would still want a discount off 100 percent of the replacement cost when buying a used boat.

But if someone wants a brand new Ladybug, perhaps a one-of-a-kind boat, they may be willing to pay 100 percent plus of today’s replacement cost.

why?
The seller can ask for whatever price s/he desires.

If the buyer coughs up the money, the request was reasonable and fair. Reasons why buyer decides to pay can be many and very personal.

I am surprised anyone would complain about this - this works with houses, consumable goods, etc. Economics 101, I believe - crap is only worth as much as the buyer is willing to pay for it.

cool
then i can start with today’s cost for my 2000 rob roy, even though i paid $1,100 for it new. new price and all the goodies…heck, we’re talking $3,000. that settles it. my rob roy is up for sale for $3,000. any takers?

nope
"goodies" are almost always the seller’s loss.

Kind of like selling a a house with a swimming pool.

Also, is your boat brand new, unused and unmarred?

But let’s assume it is. I found a white gold Rob Roy 15 at Rutabaga for $1895. So, what’s the value of your new, unmarred RR? Is it something like 2/3rds of your original $1,100 purchase price, which is $726? Or is it more like 2/3rds of the new $1895 price, which comes to $1137?

Tell you what, I’ll give you the discounted price (for used) off of your original purchase price today. Does $726 sound about right then?

True
What it cost you doesn’t directly affect what it’s worth to me. What does matter is the cost of a duplicate, replacement, or substitute.

Year and orig. price
I just got an PM/email from the seller, not sure why he didn’t just post it here:

Just to set the record straight. I have a price guide from 1995 Canoe mag. that lists the coanoe companys and info on the canoes the make. I gives the price of the Curtis Ladybug at 1999.00.

It was purchased that year and never use. Looking at the canoes use and rarity even back then. The canoe is a prime canoe for the Freestyle world and to find a mint one now might justify the price. The Rob Roy you used to compare is still being made and never a big saler to many in the canoe world.

Not to put anyones likes for canoe choices down. That is the listed canoe price for 1995. If you like I can scan the page and send it to you.

Keep on paddling

Frank

setting the record straight
I had quoted the 1988 price for a kevlar version:

http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/images/photo_album/curtis_canoe_catalog/1988_price_list.jpg

It was chad19 that brought up the Rob Roy, not me.

I think the Ladybug is a great boat and if it has never been used then it should be sold to close to the original value. There aren’t a whole lot of freestyle hulls being made any more and to have the opportunity to get one that isn’t made anymore brand new would be great. I was wondering if a canoe could appreciate in value. As I stated above I was using 1988 pricing.

there are as many “freestyle” hulls
now as then though the names have changed.

Freestyle is not a hull its a technique that can be done in any boat you can do cross maneuvers. Some boats however are harder to learn in than others. The Ladybug is actually demanding in that you have to rail the boat to free the stems for a u turn.

The Ladybug is the mother and root of all boats most liked for freestyle. However it is not that rare. Its not common either but its certainly not one of a kind.

At 39 lbs its getting up there for the FS crowd that desires portability. This boat is most likely in the expedition kevlar layup. It would be a great tripping boat for soloists doing just short overnight trips.

The Rob Roy is a huge seller as well as its descendants. I havent seen many in the Midwest but in the East they seem to pop up like blackflies.

A rarity in boats…
so if someone really wants or needs a Curtis Ladybug (perhaps to replace one in less pristine condition?)it seems like a fair price. As far as the FS hull, the design has evolved into more what many consider to be a little more paddler friendly. From when I tried it, and most I know that paddle a Ladybug using FS technique, think that the secondary stability is pretty tender. You need to be dead on with a firm heel or you are in the drink…not much time to futz finding the sweet spot. For those paddlers who are used to the boat, it can sing!

True
"To me, the question isn’t what the canoe cost when it was new. Rather the question is what would it cost to replace that boat (or get something close) today."

Go look at the list price of a 1963 split window Corvette.

Think you can buy one (even a well used one) for that price today??

If you put $1000 in the bank in 1988, would you be happy to just receive the same $1000 back today?

Would you sell your house that you bought in 1988 for what you paid for it?

Times change. Some things are investments that grow, some devaluate over time.

I have no idea what the canoe in question is worth, but basing it off of a 20 year old price guide is crazy. (Just figure in cost of inflation over those 20 years, and see where it puts you…)