Fantastic site. I’m on the verge of buying my first canoe, but need some help. Several questions within; therefore, anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.
- I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma, 6ft bed, crew cab. Can anyone outline the exact accesories I need to carry a 14.5-16 canoe on the roof? I figure I could let the canoe hang out the bed strapped down, but that is not desirable. I figure if I want to get it home, I need to get the carry assesories to do so first.
- I want to fish on still water lakes and take extended camp trips down class II-IV rivers, carry some camp gear and my significant other. I want to be able paddle when I want and attach a trolling motor at other times. I’ve boiled my selection down to this:
Mad River Explorer KX, RX, TT
Old Town Osprey
- I want the material to be durable and last, and I want to be able to easily carry the canoe by myself. With many materials to choose from, where do I go?
- Length is also debatable. I want something that I can handle in tricky situations but it seems if I go to short, I lose space.
I think it comes down to choosing a canoe that accomodates most of my needs and still fits the size of my wallet, but I wanted to get this experienced crews recommendation.
- Would love to get it used. Anyone surrounding WV that has a great good/great condition canoe that matches these needs, I’d love to talk to you.
Thanks for time and support.