Canoe/Camp to Shackleford Banks, NC

I am planning on heading down when the wind predictions are low. However, I wanted to land near the ferry station by the east end of the island (wife would want a bathroom):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=34.686934,-76.643602&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

Is this a wise idea? Are there any launch places in Beaufort or Lenoxville that I can park overnight? I really don’t want to launch from Harkers Island because it looks like a much longer paddle…

I don’t think there is a bathroom

– Last Updated: Feb-08-08 7:49 PM EST –

near the ferry terminal. But I haven't been there for a few years.

If you go to Beaufort, NC and get on the waterfront road heading north you will end up at a public boat ramp and parking lot. Last time I was there you could park over night for free.

It is a pretty easy paddle from there, and fairly protected.

I can tell you of a good spot to camp that is not busy, has a picnic table, non-drinkable water, and a grass glade - but no bathroom.

If you have any questions about the trip let me know. I have made that trip dozens and dozens of time, but like I said none recently.

BTW, from Harkers to Shackleford isn't that much longer, but it is more exposed.

Lennoxville
I’ve paddled to Shackleford out of the east end of Taylor’s creek. I’ve never done an overnight from there, but I would probably just leave my vehicle at the boat ramp at Lennoxville. I don’t recall any signs that indicate no overnight parking. I thought I remembered bathrooms and according to the NPS website there are composting toilets near the ferry dock, but it’s on the west end of the island, not the east.

There is an old cemetery on the island that is neat to see. Graves from the 1800 and early 1900s. Problem is I can’t remember exactly where it is and a quick search of Google didn’t turn it up either. I want to say it’s almost due south of the western tip of the middle marshes which is the marsh that will be to your east if you paddle out of Lennoxville, but I can’t say for certain.

Here’s a picture I took this summer.

http://www.unpunk.com/~jaybird/DSCN2019.JPG

Lennoxville ramp
I’ve left my car and trailer at the ramp there for days at a time with no problems so far. I can’t give you any other advice about shackleford banks as I usually go from the ramp to Cape Lookout.

Whoops, west side, not east
Wow,

Not bright, I had meant the west, no idea why I typed east. Looking at the satellite, the location you described for the cemetary seems right on as there looks to be the maritime forest there. Thanks for responses, if you know of any other neat places, please let me know…

Camping on Shackleford Banks
Have you contacted the NPS and requested any of the many info brochures they have of SB? They have info on camping (including permits), kayaking, horses, Cape Lookout, etc. (252)728-2250 or www.nps.gov/calo

Any day on the water is a great day,