Canoe Dilemma........

Making my first BWCA trip this year in mid-Sept. I’ll be going with an experienced friend and I’m somewhat seasoned in canoe/camping.

Here’s the dilemma. I have an MR Explorer in royalex, nicely outfitted and for sale. My thoughts were to sell and either buy a composite hull or rent one from an outfitter for the obvious reasons.

The MRX weighs 75# and we are on a 6-day, 77 mile trip. This can be shortcutted depending on weather and whether (the fishing is good).

What are the thoughts for taking the MR beast and dealing with the portage or going with a rental light weight.

My partner and I are pretty fit and I’m certain we could manage the big boat. Certainly it is capable and reliable but the concern is will it become burdensome for such a trip.

Thanks in advance

Wes

Depends on Your Route
I used to take my Mad River Revelation, 79lbs, to the BWCAW sometimes, but only when there was just going to be a few portages. I’d say if you aren’t going to make more than 3 portages a day on average and they are not much over 125 rods. I’d take it. What route you taking, Wes? WW

depends #2
Depends on what kind of shape you are in. I used to take an 85 pound beast, but I am older and wiser (also, less fit) now. I still use a 63 pound royalex sometimes. That is ok, but a few times the past few years I have rented a kev and you just sail over the portages. Take the portages slow and just do it. Also, it kind of depends on what kind of relationship you have with your old canoe. That old beast and I were real close for 33 years.

One other note. I rented an Explorer and I will not again. I found it slow when loaded in the BW and that was a kev. Stable and sound, but kind of slow.

Like said above, it depends on the portages.

kevlar
The first time you carry a 42 pound 18.5 foot canoe over a portage you will see why people drop the money on them. The most popular and my choice is a WENONAH Minnesota 2. They are expensive but they are the best. If you are going in out of Ely check with Piragis Northwoods. I always stop in before and after my trips. If you are going to be spending time in rivers the minn2 is not the best choice but for lake paddling it cannot be beat. Have fun, I will be up in August

Thanks for the advice…
I’m still in the what if …mode and the primary focus is to have fun. I have a great afinity for the MRX, it is rigged and a stable old friend. The other point is that if we do the first planned loop with some 7 mile of portage over 6 days I figure to get worn out. Once again, we can manage it but would look for more fun with the lighter bot.

You folks are great.

Wes

Try a Kevlar Explorer
Check around and you might find one. They aren’t exactly like the Royalex version, but you’ll still feel very comfortable in one. They also only weigh about 45 pounds! I picked a used one up a few years back from Sawbill Outfitters, but others might use them too.

We were in the BWCA last week. I took the Explorer and we rented a Minnesota II (2 adults, 3 young teens). The Explorer was dryer and handled more gear; we ended up putting all the heavy stuff in the little 16’ boat and letting the 18’ MN II get the light stuff. I really like my Explorer; a good all-around canoe.

Pam

re:…
…have to add my $.01 in for kevlar too…

Steve

GO LIGHT
No matter what shape your in its easier on your body to go lighter. If you plan on canoeing for a period of time, spend the extra cash,it will be well worth it.Even 10 lbs less makes a world of difference. I live a few miles from the Wenonah factory so we grew up with Wenonahs.Then I used a Souris River.The SR is a better canoe.Hands down.Try several brands at demos if you can.A dealer will always say theres are the best.Good Luck!

I’ll vote for light as well
After all, a MRX in kevlar is 20# lighter than the royalex version! Even with a good yoke on my MRX, I hate portaging. My last wilderness trip was on the DuMoine River in Quebec, and some of the portages were rocky/rooty/tight/steep, and less weight would have been greatly appreciated!

Jim

PS: I may be in Pgh for a week in August if my Dad needs a pacemaker battery replacement (can’t they just plug him in to recharge?). I’ll probably bring my QCC and head to Arthur for some day paddles.

Canoe weight
Here’s my post from another string about canoe weight>

As I reread this string I was reminded of a day about five or six years ago. We were on the Newton side of the Fall/Newton portage when a party of four 19-20 year old guys paddled up to the portage in the “lightweight” aluminum canoes they had rented for their week long trip. They were about to walk their last portgage. Even though this is a super highway of portages they were struggling with their canoes and gear. We chatted for a few minutes. I asked how their trip was and they said they had a good trip. But if they had it to do over again they would have spent the few extra dollars a day and rented kevlar canoes and had a great trip. They had underestimated just how heavy those extra few pounds would be over the course of a week long trip over many portages.

HERESY
OKAY FOLKS…I KNOW WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS HERESY. I UNDERESTAND THEY ARE SUPPOSEDLY NOT ALLOWED IN THE BWCA OR QUETICO. BUT I KNOW LOTS OF PADDLERS WHO HAVE USED THEM THERE, AND AS A FIFTY TWO YEAR OLD, 300+ LB’DER WHO PADDLES EVERY WEEKEND FROM MARCH TO DECEMBER I AM GONNA RECOMMEND THEM…YES, REALLY GOOD CANOE DOLLY WITH WIDE PNEUMATIC TIRES. ONE WHICH RIDES UNDER THE CENTER OF YOUR CANOE RATHER THAN AFT. YOU CAN HAUL OVER AMAZINGLY ROUGH TERRAIN WITH RELATIVELY LITTLE EFFORT.

THERE SAID IT. KEEP YOUR CANOE, GET A DOLLY. HERESY I KNOW. BUT…

More than Heresy!!
As you stated, it is illegal!! I can’t believe you knowingly recommend to someone to do an illegal activity. Sure he may not get caught, then again he may, or someone may turn him in.

Besides, I don’t know which portages you’re taking, but I dare say that most portages in the BWCA/Quetico have at least one section of the trail where wheels would be absolutely uselss (rock faces, large boulders, stairways, swamps and bogs, muddy sections, tight turns, …). Then the wheels would have to portaged as well.

One thing I will agree with is that I think he should use the canoe he has now. If it works well for what he currently needs it for keep it. This BWCA trip may be a one-time deal. If you like the canoe for what you use it for 80% of the time, and it will perform OK in the other 20% of the situations, that’s pretty good! As he said, he and his buddy are fit enough to carry it. 75#s is heavy, but not ridiculously so. Aluminum canoes weigh that much and they are still the standard for most outfitters up there.

If after this trip he finds he wants to go to the BWCA more often, or decides that the canoe is too heavy, then he can choose to buy a new canoe for next year or rent one from an outfitter.

One thing I would recommend for preparing for the trip is to make sure you have a good yoke (ash) and a good set of pads set correctly for your shoulders. Make sure they don’t hit your “traps” (those muscles connedted to your neck).