Canoe Foot Braces

I am going to install a foot brace in my Swift Shearwater. I decided to use yakima style braces, mainly so that the foot brace does not go across the canoe, otherwise my most reliable partner (my dog) could not join me . So my question is, should I just epoxy the brace to the canoe or use some fiberglass strips to attach to the hull, or is there another method. I am leaning towards fiberglass strips because if I ever want to remove them, it is simple to cut the strips and remove braces and a bit of sanding to smooth everything down. As always, thanks for any info. I bought the yakima foot braces from Mohawk Canoes, 22 bucks for a pair, that is a very good price.

I just drilled holes in my boat.
Four little holes will be easy to patch, if I ever want to move them. That’s how they were installed in my kayaks so that’s what I did.

On the hull?
Okay, maybe I just don’t understand. You’re going to install Yakima “Keepers” type footbraces on the hull of your canoe? I don’t think it’s gonna do you much good - your feet will be positioned up against the outside edges of the boat. Most folks that use footbraces in a canoe have their feet centered and their knees stay together, right in the center of the boat.

I’ve seend the Yakima type braces mounted to saddles in WW boats where you kneel, is that what you mean? If not, I’d suggest you think seriously about a “bar” type footbrace. Just let your dog sit a little further forward and adjust your trim to compensate.

yakima type would work for me
I’m a “splayer” with my feet on the sides of the hull. If I had dog issues, I’d consider the yakimas too. As it is though, I like the bars because they can help hold gear in place, fasten water bottles too, or used to help keep a flotation bag in place (ex: Yellowstone Solo with 60" bags).

Have used same setup…
I purchased a used Mohawk Solo 14 several years ago. It had a pair of the Yakima “keeper” footbraces that had been installed at the Mohawk factory. Previous owner used a kayak paddle. My wife used the boat for a couple of years; never had a problem with them. She also uses a kayak paddle.

After selling the Solo 14 (not because of the footbraces), I bought a new Odyssey 14. Wife wanted same Yakima footbraces installed in the Odyssey. It was a quick & easy job & they have never leaked a drop. She had never used a cross bar footbrace, so she adapted to the Yakima, and never complained about them being uncomfortable. My only suggestion is to position them so they can be adjusted to people with different leg lengths.

BOB

Howdy Bob
So did you drill holes through the hull? I just don’t want to do holes in the hull, just doesn’t seem right, but It would be easier than epoxy. I do remember somebod posting pics of a similiar setup, my memory thinks it was Mike Mcrea, but my memory is not what it used to be. Thanks for the help!

studs on inside?
If I remember correctly, some of the kayak builders epoxy mounting studs to the inside of the hull, then mount the footbraces to them. I’ve always just drilled through the hulls of my kayaks and canoes, but the studs are another option.

I know there are a few places where you can order the studs online, but the only one I remember off the top of my head is Chesapeake Light Craft. This should take you to the right page:

http://clcboats.com/footbraces_rudders.php

Belated response to ?
Yes, I drilled holes thru the hull to install the Yakima footbraces. The holes are well above the waterline, do not leak, and I have never had any structural problem.

Have drilled many holes in 3 different(Dagger, Mohawk & Mad River) whitewater canoes (just below gunwales) to install lace kit for air bags. Never had any problems with them either.

BOB

Realize that in a composite boat,you
are drilling through resin - impregnated cloth. It just looks like glass on the outside, but the hole won’t propogate cracks.My Voyager probably has 50 holes in it from putting the snaps on for the cover.No problem.

Many thanks to all
I think I will try to epoxy a couple of studs in and see how that works. Thanks again for the info.