is very wide and stable for a canoe (we used is with very small

children!) and is rated for 3 adults or 700 pounds. I have the

owner’s manual and Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin. A great canoe

with many years of use left!

Asking price $225.00

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Too heavy! too slow!
That canoe weighs a ton. That’s why it is being sold for so little. It paddles slowly an is only ok for calm water and light winds. It has no center carrying twart so it is impossible to solo carry or load on a car.

The only person I know who is happy with one is a neighbor who keeps one at the edge of his pond. He don’t have to carr it at all. And he has it set up as a row boat so it is a little faster than paddling it even though he doesn’t go far.

Good basin for mixing cement.

Beginner Canoe?
that weighs 90 pounds and is 42" wide is not a canoe in my opinion. I think something like this will turn you off from canoeing rather than increase your interest in the joys of canoeing.If you’re keeping it in a pond for fishing, fine, but 90 pounds would keep me and my old bones from using this canoe.

Depends on what you use it for
As others have said, having it docked on a pond for ready use would be okay, but for most “normal” canoe uses, something else would be a lot better. Here are some considerations that come to mind:

Molded-in cooler: That’s fine if you use it every time, but would you want to carry an empty cooler on every dayhike you take? Take your own cooler on those trips when you need one and keep the boat’s weight down the rest of the time. It will be lighter and probably better-insulated.

Polyethylene hull: There are two Rogue River canoes parked in a front yard that I drive by pretty regularly. Both of them are severely deformed from sitting out in the sun. Left upside-down on sawhorses, they have sagged in the middle really badly.

Self-storing plastic paddles: Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick. Once you get halfway decent at paddling, you’ll find that even a moderate-quality paddle is waaaay better than what comes with this boat. Again, it’ll be fine for poking around on a little pond, but not for going any distance.

Cheap price: Oh wait, that’s a good thing, isn’t it. But if you look around, you will eventually find a good canoe for, okay, a bit more money than that, but still a good deal.

Check out the “Guidelines” section of this website (look at the buttons on the left of the screen). Numerous subjects are discussed there relative to hull design and intended use of the boat. Then identify some boats which are designed for the type of use you want, and then start shopping for a deal (or buy new if you don’t mind doing so). As others have said, try before you buy if you can. Maybe even rent a few times to improve your comfort level before shopping and test paddling.

i’m no expert,

– Last Updated: Sep-08-05 3:03 AM EST –

but my father purchased a 14' rogue canoe for my nephew and he's only 12 years old and he loves it. he paddles it solo on moving rivers and has no trouble handling it. a couple of weeks ago he and my brother paddled it down several class two rapids with no trouble. if you spend $200 for a canoe and it get's you out on the water, i say go for it. i'll also add that he has no problem keeping up with us in our 60-70 lb more expensive royalex canoes. it's a very stabile canoe and that is a must for a beginner. it's a confidence builder. when you think it's time to move on to a better performing, tippy canoe, you'll have a loaner to lend to a friend or family member and give them a chance to enjoy the world of paddling.