Canoe in Kayak Cradles

Has anyone tried carrying a canoe in Thule or Yakima J-Cradles? I was thinking of trying this with my Wenonah Voyager to create more space on my roof rack.

Nope
I entertained this thougt, but decided against it for two reasons. First the weight on the rack would increase dramatically if you you got caugt in a rainstorm. Second I was worried about windage if the canoe was transportied right side up. Both these problems would go away if you had a cover, though.

Cover…

– Last Updated: Sep-28-07 10:06 AM EST –

You might not have the canoe cover when you get home?

Not sure, but I don't think that canoe covers were designed to withstand the wind pressure created when traveling at 60 to 70 mph?

If just a portion of the canoe cover came loose & starting flapping in a 65 mph breeze, how long do you think it would take for a couple of snaps
on the cover to eat up the side of a kevlar canoe, or wood gunwales?

Maybe someone who has transported a canoe, with the cover attached, will provide some insight.
I don't think I'd even consider leaving a cover on a canoe while it's being transported. I take out the floatation bags when I'm transporting my ww canoe for long distances, because I'm concerned about abrasion or overinflation of the bags. Others don't feel that is necessary.

BOB

I have seen it done
with no apparent ill effect to the boat or the rack. I have even seen an aluminum canoe carried that way. You definitely do not want to leave anything in on on it that could blow away and I would bet that it will not be a very quiet ride.