canoe & kayak mag.

cheap if you cancel
I let my subscription run out and got an offer in the mail from them: $12 plus a free hat.

I subscribed for about a year.
And it failed my test. I would look through each issue and find almost nothing of interest and those articles I was interested in were shallow and badly done. I dumped it. I do subscribe to Seakayaker and like it. I read it and my wife and I sometimes even talk about an article. It is analagous to seeing to movie. Was it a good movie? If I am thinking about it and talking about it to others afterwards, maybe days afterward, then it is a good movie. Canoe and Kayak never passed that test.

I agree
More for the adventure kayaker than for canoe people. Too many ads. I recently subscribed and am not pleased. Also, as mentioned, mostly ads.

Is there a decent mag out there?

I like
Sea Kayaker and Wave Length - they both have enough reading material to keep me interested.

Thistleback

let’s start one
:wink:

We might have a few potential writers here.

Boundary Waters Journal?
It’s a real canoeing magazine, with emphasis on well written stories, and and the ads are not obtrusive. Boundary Waters Journal is located in the the BWCWA/Quetico, but the techniques and equipment and spirit fit all areas of the country.

I’ve pretty much given up on Canoe & Kayak, even if I did get a free cap. And Canoe Journal is just a recap of articles that have already appeared in C & K. And the C&K buyers issue has been running the same articles for 3 years, and they still haven’t corrected the boat measurements that we complained about 3 years ago. They just keep recycling the same old stuff. And Paddler isn’t much better. I’m disappointed that Paddler Magazine, which is mostly about falling off water falls in kayaks, is published by the American Canoe Association.

Jes my 2 cents :slight_smile:

LIBRARY?
I don’t know about you, but I hate buying subscriptions, and have access to a great library system which stocks C&K, Paddler, and Sea Kayaking. Maybe yours does also, or you could suggest it to them.

Good way to decide
…whether to subscribe.

We used to subscribe to C&K but stopped after a few years. There just wasn’t enough information in it to keep us interested. I’m happy to buy an occcasional issue if it has what I like in it.

Sea Kayaker Magazine, which we presently subscribe to, is another one to check out. Your library (in CO) probably won’t have this one–the ones in Jefferson County don’t even though this is one of the biggest library systems in the U.S. Just buy a few issues from REI or paddle shops to see if you like them. They also have some articles available online.

I agree with the recommendations to check out Wavelength Magazine. If you have a fast Internet connection, download some back issues for free. If you have a molasses connection but you can borrow a laptop, download it at the library. That’s what I do.

c&k
i talked to the folks at the mag and they said they are not doing the canoe jornel this year !

Figures…
…not really surprised.