Canoe make?

Does anyone have any idea of what the make of this canoe possibly may be? Any guesses or anything, possibly home built? It is about 13’ long, no name or plates on it that I can see. Just M. Rainville painted on it, maybe former owners name. I was looking to bid on it in a local auction but have not seen it in person. About an hour from me.

Thanks.

Post over at the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Forums
www.wcha.org
Old canoes often have no plates for id. but do have distinctive decks and thwart shapes and serial numbers woodburned on the idside stems
The picture isnt that great… The use of babiche suggests a Quebec builder but thats not a given It has rather Chestnutty lines and I think its longer than 13 feet. . The inwales look odd at the center thwart

I forgot about the WCHA group, thanks. I will check with them.

Possibly an early Navarro

@magooch said:
Possibly an early Navarro

Thanks, appreciate it.

Mystery canoe discussions are always interesting. But Navarro never used cedar planking… always a composite hull from the get go. They did use gut seats.

From what I can see of the decks they are Racine shaped. Or at least one deck Racine used… Dont go overboard. The boat has a broken inwale. Not more than a couple hundred

@kayamedic said:
Mystery canoe discussions are always interesting. But Navarro never used cedar planking… always a composite hull from the get go. They did use gut seats.

From what I can see of the decks they are Racine shaped. Or at least one deck Racine used… Dont go overboard. The boat has a broken inwale. Not more than a couple hundred

Thanks, appreciate the input. That is about what I had in mind stopping at and maybe not that high.

Seems odd that it is pictured with oars, yet the seating doesn’t seem to be set up for rowing. I wonder where the oars fit into the gunwales–possibly at center where the gunwales look a bit wider. If the oars fit in the center, seems like it’d be difficult to lift the oars out of the water for the recovery part of the stroke. You’d hit your hands on the thwart. Or, possibly the oars have nothing to do with the canoe.

@BoozTalkin said:
" Or, possibly the oars have nothing to do with the canoe. "