canoe paddle holder

Hi all,

Haven’t posted in a good while,(got sucked into the backpacking vortex), but I have a question. I want to make a canoe paddle holder. I’ve seen them for sale at nearly $20 bucks, but I know I can make one pretty cheap…I think :slight_smile: My thought is two velcro strips, one around the thwart, and another running through it perpendicular to hold the shaft. Has anyone done this and if so, what am I forgetting :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Leigh

Yep
You can get a pack of velcro strips with colored backing and pull-tabs on one end from paddling suppliers like Rutabaga - or you can make your own with generic velcro strips (just sew fabric over an inch or so of one end). Makes it a lot easier to release in a hurry.

Thanks Steve!
The fabric pull makes perfect sense!

works well
My setup is exactly like you describe and it works great.

Like This, Leigh?

– Last Updated: Jul-15-11 7:27 PM EST –

Bought these at Piragis back in the mid '90's and they're still working well. Thought they would be easy to make, but they were pretty cheap when I bought them. Here's a pic, they're on either side of the thwart. WW
http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/136450665

My oddball method:
My method is very crude, but I’ve stuck with it all these years because I think it’s kind of nice to be able to attach or un-attach a paddle with one hand. I use something that looks like a giant twist tie. It’s heavy copper wire surrounded by thick, soft foam. One end loops around the thwart, and the free length is wrapped around the paddle and thwart, and if you want it extra secure (strong enough to actually lift the boat by grabbing the paddle shaft), finish off with half a loop around the thwart again. If I switch paddles, I can lay one paddle down on the thwart next to the one that’s attached, unloop the twist-tie and then just wrap it the other way to secure the other paddle, all with one hand, and in about three or four seconds.

I’ll try to find a link to these twist-tie thingys. Last time I described this method for securing paddles, someone found out that they can be purchased at Home Depot, but I can’t remember what they are called.

how about a simple holster …

– Last Updated: Jul-15-11 9:16 PM EST –

...... right on the side (inside) of the canoe . Just enough to stick the front 1/2 of the blade into .

Stick in , pull out . The paddle is conviently flat to the side angled upwards from the chin area . The holster is rigid and about 1" wide total (make out of any 1/8" (or thinner) rigid panal type material for the sides , use whatever for the spreaders (wood , plastic , cork , anything rigid that will be good in the glue up process) ... the paddle won't move or flop about but slips in and out with ease , you could even line the inside w/something soft if desired (glue 1/16" felt , cork , etc. to the inside of the holster) . No straps . no undo thingies (unless you think you need them for a roll over in WW) . The palm grip end to rest right on the thwart in easy grab distance . If you don't like the direct contact of the paddle shaft against the thwart , just glue on a 1" square of felt , cork , etc. for a contact bumper .

holster
gets my vote. I had some foam cemented to the floor of my tandem with a broom holder thingy on the thwart. When I hit rocky stretches of river I would swap out my paddles. The time taken to swap out was probobly about 2 strokes total. At the portages the one paddle that was clipped in would stay in the boat. If you get a chance go to a canoe race and see how the serious racers have their spare paddles set up.

I do exactly what you describe
I then melt the loops off the last inch or so for a quick release.

Wally world
Get a broom holder. they used to come in packages of two for a couple of bucks.

They are just a little spring type clamp that you screw to a thwart.

Put a coat of polyurthane over it and it won’t rust up.

Jack L

boat over rescue
I’d hate to find one of those …

holder
tape or screw a broom handle holder to the thwart