Canoe paddling gloves?

One of the threads on hats ended up talking about sun protection in general including paddling gloves so I decided to start a new thread on paddling gloves since I’m selfishly looking for as much input as possible.

The attached pic is a thought-starter. The bottom row shows my current favorite NRS fingerless gloves (the blue ones). I also like the thin NRS neoprene gloves next to them (green trim) which are too warm for me in summer but I like them in cooler weather because they let me continue to wear fingerless gloves down to maybe 40 degrees F. On the left in the middle row are some padded bicycle gloves which have short fingers which willowleaf may like although the fingers on the NRS gloves are also pretty short. At least it’s easy to find bicycle gloves to try on. On the right in the middle row are some lightweight full finger Thunderwear gloves. Thunderwear used to be my favorite brand but they are apparently no longer in business. Maybe I need to try to patch them. I do have one extra right hand glove in like new condition. Argh. On the top are some sailing gloves that I recently acquired at a local boat shop (for $5). I think overstreet mentioned sailing gloves…or one of the other Florida folks. I like the longer fingerless fingers because I manage to get blisters/pain even in the middle of my fingers on long upstream paddles, especially in hot weather…but in this case the long fingers and big wrist bands also make them pretty warm in hot weather.

Can I ask what paddle you use?

I used to wear the blue NRS fingerless gloves with my first (Aquabound) carbon shaft paddle but since switching to a Werner Cyprus, with its much smoother shaft, and my cedar GP, also with a very smooth loom, I much prefer to paddle without gloves in spite of having some arthritis in my hands.

Where I live it almost never gets cold enough for me to need gloves for warmth.

I have two pair of Buff paddling gloves which somehow I’ve not lost. Short fingered, though. I used those for summer paddling until July, when I switched to no gloves. For cold water I have Glacier gloves but recently picked up pair of NRS Fuse and will see how those work out.

In cold weather paddling my hands are my weakest link. Keeping them dry helps, which is why I don’t use my GP in the cold months.

My paddling gloves are never too hot, because they are generally wet. Reason I need waterproof for cold weather.

My wife just bought a pair of weight lifting gloves. We’ll see how that works out.

I probably should have titled the thread “canoe paddling gloves” since most of you are kayakers and our needs may be different. I had hoped to order the long finger version of the NRS gloves but they are no longer available and I see in the reviews that kayakers felt the thumb padding was inadequate. I’m generally pretty happy with various fingerless gloves and I’ve got various full finger gloves (including glacier gloves) for truly cold weather but for me cold weather gloves take away quite a bit of the enjoyment of paddling.

I’ve been considering getting a used kayak. Maybe that’s what I need for cold weather. My dog has a thin coat and she shivers and her teeth chatter below about 45F (plus she hates dog clothes) so I don’t need the room of a canoe for her when it’s cold.

I use a pair of West Marine Sailing gloves for both kayak and canoe. The leather palms and finger pads protect hands from the blister risk and also thrones, splinters and wires from things we come in contact with along the trail. Places like the canoe trails in the Okefenokee Swamp or limestone along the Suwannee river or oysters along the coast make these worth the effort.

I often have to wet them to soften them up after drying out.

The West Marine gloves look worth trying to me. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am a big fan of the FJ Rain Grip golf gloves. The palms are a thin synthetic suede like material that has a very natural feel on the paddle. Very similar slip/grip feel to your bare hand which I like about them. your hand slides down the shaft smoothly when switching sides, but also grips naturally too.

They breath well and dry relatively fast, but provide adequate warmth down to the low 40’s if you dont dunk your hands in the water often.

They’re relatively cheap (like $25) and easy to find (dicks, amazon, etc)

I wore out one pair after 3 seasons of canoe racing and got a 2nd pair. I like them. Helped with blisters and calluses a lot.

@MCImes said:
I am a big fan of the FJ Rain Grip golf gloves. The palms are a thin synthetic suede like material that has a very natural feel on the paddle. Very similar slip/grip feel to your bare hand which I like about them. your hand slides down the shaft smoothly when switching sides, but also grips naturally too.

They breath well and dry relatively fast, but provide adequate warmth down to the low 40’s if you dont dunk your hands in the water often.

I wore out one pair after 3 seasons of canoe racing and got a 2nd pair. I like them. Helped with blisters and calluses a lot.

I’m going to check into those.

@MCImes said:

Yep, I’ll be checking in to these too. Never would have thought about golf gloves, or sailing gloves.

I use batting gloves in warm weather. They allow the paddle shaft to rotate freely in my hand and are inexpensive.

@ADKayaker said:
I use batting gloves in warm weather. They allow the paddle shaft to rotate freely in my hand and are inexpensive.

Batting gloves are another great idea that I never would have thought of. Thanks for posting.