Canoe Recommendations

I’m in the market for a second canoe that I can use solo to run rivers (Class I & II), but that could also be used recreationally tandem.

Specifically, I’d like to participate in the New England Canoe & Kayak Racing Association (NECKRA) Downriver series next year (for fun). So, I want a boat that would work for “racing”, but that I could also use for flatwater paddling with the family (solo or tandem). Are there any boats that would work for this? It doesn’t need to be a current model; in fact, if could pick up a decent boat used that would be ideal.

Yup
Penobsdcot 16

If you were closer, you could try ours out.

cheers,

JackL

Old Town Penobscot 16
Popular as a downriver racer, a decent solo/tandem, fine on flat water. Should be easy to find. Won’t turn like a whitewater boat, but I assume you’re looking for speed, not play.

Penobscot 16 is very good choice, or
if you can put up with a faster, better turning boat, contact millbrookboats.com in Weare, NH, and have Kaz lay up an AC/DC for you. Another problem… AC/DC weighs only 45 pounds.

But make sure the racing class you want to enter will allow composite boats. Sometimes they permit only “safe” materials like Royalex that don’t blow away while you’re eating lunch.

Penobscot in RX, not PE
I forgot that there’s a PE Penobscot being sold now. You’d want the Royalex version. Should be able to find a used one.

17’ Wenonah Sundowner
http://www.wenonahracing.com/marathon/Models/17_Sundowner.html

Good advice
Old Town Penobscot 16 in RX. Don’t buy something else before you try one.

Penobscot 16
I love my Penobscot 16,what a great solo paddling boat

Other thoughts…
Not that the Penobscot would be a bad choice, but there are some others that might be worth consideration.

Perhaps the Bell Morningstar, or Novacraft Pal or Bob Special would be worth checking out, especially if used ones were to turn up. An added kneeling thwart would help. There certainly are faster boats, but racing is only one of its three proposed duties and, as I’ve heard folks here say before and seems to prove true,in most casual racing the outcome can have a lot more to do with the “motor” than the boat anyhow. A good, strong, practiced paddler can usually make quite a respectable showing in a more generalized boat.

I’m sure there are many other possibilities that folks can think of.