Canoe rental near New Orleans?

Can you suggest a place for four adults to rent two canoes for a few hours on Thursday, April 26 near New Orleans? “Bayou Barn” says the bayou is “closed”?

We are two couples in our late 50’s coming down from Illinois for the Jazz Fest and we want to canoe on some peaceful waters on Thursday morning.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We will be staying in New Orleans with a rental car.

check here

– Last Updated: Apr-20-12 6:11 AM EST –

http://bayouhaystackers.com/LinksFrame.htm

Click out the rentals/outfitters on the left

I did not see the Bayou Barn
indication that the Bayou is “closed,” but what they may mean is that, due to mild winters, bayou and canal vegetation has blocked some routes. Perhaps BB’s routes are blocked around their entry way.

I’ve paddled in that area, about ten years ago; on Bayou Sauvage; and on Cane Bayou on the north shore of Ponchertrain. I’ve scouted runs in Tickfaw State Park and along Bogue Chitto State Park. Rentals are available in Tickfaw and Bogue Chitto. You would have to call and arrange ahead. Tickfaw is a shaded cypress swamp. Bogue Chitto is a large river with cypress etc. along the banks. Both have good trail systems.

Those parks are each a bit over an hour from Nawlins, with some close map reading required.

The closest source of rental trips is east along hwy 90 in the Honey Island Swamp. I checked there earlier this spring, but the water was so high that I was not certain I wanted to battle the currents. But the outfitters there may have a plan for you.