canoe south in March?

Any suggestions or general help for a solo canoeist? I will have a week off of work the second week of March. I live in southern Wisconsin. Is there any place a guy could go paddle for a few days that is not as far as Florida?

I am just looking for some ideas to explore.

Bob.

Joisey Pine Barrens
FE

Buffalo River, Arkansas

How about the
Sabine River on the Texas-Louisiana border?

Shuttles and such are not the easiest
to work out, especially from out of state. As much as I love our Texas rivers, its difficult to beat the Buffalo and Ozarks for beauty. And, if you don’t want to bring your own, rentals abound.

Mulberry River Arkansas
that is if you want class 2/3 river…

Southern trip
Looking for a canoe trip without technical paddling. Just looking for a get-away, I haven’t been in a boat for a few months. Lazy water is good.

Caddo Lake
in NE Texas is a little further south and would be a good choice if it was still a little cold for the Buffalo. The Texas side of Caddo is a huge cypress swamp with marked canoe trails. You should just be starting to get some of the spring bloom in March. Caddo Lake State Park makes a good base of operations and there are some private camps. The Louisiana side of the lake is more open and better suited to motor boating so stick to the Texas side for canoeing. You can also canoe on Big Jefferson Bayou which is the water source for Caddo Lake.

Mark

All of these

– Last Updated: Feb-11-08 3:41 PM EST –

North central Arkansas: Buffalo

Southern Missouri: Current/Jacks Fork/Eleven Point, North Fork of the White/Gasconade/Black

All non-technical. All pretty rivers.

I & other pnet paddlers I know, paddle on those rivers mentioned on a regular/semi regular basis, and can provide you with lots of information.

If possible, change dates on vacation; come to Ozark Rendezvous in April.......

Have you done the Wolf in Wisconsin?

BOB

North or South Carolina anywhere
but the high mountains.

North Georgia. Talking Rock Creek,
Upper Amicalola, Tellico, maybe the Flint, the Broad…

Also northern Alabama. You might catch the Sipsey. And you could run Mulberry and Locust Fork of the Warrior River.

Email me if you need more info. I am retired and might be able to accompany.

CANOE SOUTH IN MARCH
GOOGLE “FLOAT STREAMS OF ARKANSAS” AND YOU WILL FIND MANY SITES WITH ALL THE INFO YOU WOULD NEED FOR ARKANSAS.YOU WILL FIND THE NAMES OF MANY OF OUR CLEARWATER STREAMS AND LINKS TO FIND OTHERS. THERE WILL BE LINKS TO SOME OF THE STATES CANOE CLUBS WHO WILL BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE AND PROBABLY SOME GUIDING ALSO. IF YOU FISH,THE SMALLMOUTH ARE STARTING TO HEAT UP IN MARCH.

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO WWW.AGFC.COM FOR INFO.ON BOATING RULES AND ACCESS TO MAPS OF LOCAL WATERS,SOME OF WHICH ARE FREE SOME HAVE A SMALL CHARGE.THEY WILL MAIL MAPS AND OTHER INFO TO YOU.

IF STILL AVAILABLE “FLOAT STREAMS OF ARKANSAS” IS A GREAT BOOK OF MAPS.

Brammy, got your email, and it suddenly
occurs to me that “Ain’tLouieFest” is taking place the second week of March, in Lenoir City in East Tennessee. It will last a week, with lots of people camping on the grounds, but there are quite a few local motels.

You can get wild and crazy details by going to the main discussion forum of cboats.net. You may have to dig around to find the schedule. There are already a whole bunch of ww canoeists planning on attending.

Most of the runs will be pretty hard, and weather can be raw in March, but the organizers are swearing they will include some easy runs on rivers like the Hiwassee.

I don’t know if I will be attending, because our first grandchild should have been just “storked” here in Atlanta. But I thought I should let you know about this possibility. I will email some farther-south Georgia possibilities later.