canoe speed -solo mph??

I am slowly getting a little better at paddling my solo/tandem canoe. I’ve probably been out about 8-10 times and am just learning the j stroke. I took my GPS with me today to see how fast I was paddling and I found that with some wind at my back or quarter I was paddling at about 3 mph. With the wind at my side more like 2.7, and with the wind in my face around 1.7-2.0.

-Does anyone know what speeds might be typical for your average touring solo with a novice to somewhat experienced paddler??

Thanks, David

grasse river
The folks at grasse river canoe know everything about race canoes. Check race web sites for touring class canoes. www.nymcra.org or usca. I would say you are doing really well and yet let me make a confession to you about speed. I have a very fast boat and might average 7mph in a race but am jealous of the canoe pairs where they paddle together and go 3 mph. An elite paddler such as serge corbin would average 8 mph or 9 mph in a solo race canoe. That is faster than me in a t-bolt because I am sort of a middle of the pack guy. Please consider going all out to have a regular paddling pardner and then maybe a flyin paddle down 7 days of wilderness river or a race such as 90 miler in the adirondacks or just have fun with a friend. One guy in a 200 mph ferrari might be lonely and jealous of a happy family in a dog slow minivan.

sounds reasonable
if you’re paddling old school style in a tandem or solo/tandmen hybrid, 3 mph is not too bad for a cruising pace. i’m sure it’s a little tougher into the wind. i use a bell rob roy canoe. it has a deck and is a dedicated solo boat, which would obviously help in windy conditions compared to a tandmen being paddled solo. what type of boat are you paddling? what about conditions? are you using a beavertail style paddle? kneeling?

j stroke
Yep, old school style with the j stroke, kneeling, and a beaver tail paddle. I can’t switch sides because of the width of the canoe. It is a Bell Morningstar. The lake I have been paddling on is small, 410 acres. So, even with a good wind blowing I don’t really get waves. I’ve been out in 20+ mph and found control very difficult and today (with the GPS) I paddled in about 5-8 mph winds. I am thinking about a trip to Killarney next summer with this canoe and my dog.

David

if you’re paddling old school style in a tandem or solo/tandmen hybrid, 3 mph is not too bad for a cruising pace. i’m sure it’s a little tougher into the wind. i use a bell rob roy canoe. it has a deck and is a dedicated solo boat, which would obviously help in windy conditions compared to a tandmen being paddled solo. what type of boat are you paddling? what about conditions? are you using a beavertail style paddle? kneeling?

Js
I’ve not done much solo canoing, so I can’t speak to that.

Avoiding using Js all the time, I tend to use what Bill Mason in Path of the Paddle calls a “Pitch Stroke.” Part way through the power stroke, rotate the angle of the paddle in the water as if you were going to do a J but keep pushing the water in the same direction you would if you were doing a normal power stroke. In other words, part way through the power stroke, rotate the paddle so the angle of attack on the water is about 45 degrees off of perpendicular with the far side of the paddle pointing forward and the close edge of the paddle pointing back.

I like this stroke since it doesn’t have the momentum kill of a J, but it is also not as powerful as a full power stroke. I also find that as I canoe I vary my strokes just a little bit each stroke - but keep in mind this is for multiple hours of paddling and being in no particular rush.

Guiding groups of high school kids in the Boundary Waters, two miles per hour was about average depending on ability of the group and conditions.

Of course, my technique may not be the best. One of these days I want to go paddling with someone who seriously knows what they’re doing so they can critique every detail of my strokes. For my purposes, the “Pitch Stroke” works well.

Typ e of boat?
This weekend I averaged over 3.6 mph over 7 miles, including a pee break. I was paddling a 15 1/2 foot boat. Another time In a race I averaged 4.9 mph in an out and back course. 3 mph is pretty decent. like Eric said forget the J stroke and sit and switch!

On that “P” break…

– Last Updated: Oct-28-04 6:29 AM EST –

did you stand? Or just unroll it and let it dangle over the side?

Hey we are thinking of possibly paddling (kayaks) Mt Island Lake Saturday.

Cheers,
JackL

No, just go in the boat
like most of the General Clinton racers do. Then you can just dump it out on the portages. I’d like to join you Saturday.

If
it was a close race I would have. But the other solo was a High kneel olympic canoe. I was buried so fast by that kid…