Canoe transportation issues

Hello I am new to the Forum.

Looking for an inexpensive acessory that will keep the Canoe on the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee from sliding off the rack. Some type of block or ends that can be easily fastened to the OEM rack. Any suggestions…

See if these…
will do what you want:

http://www.maloneautoracks.com/big-foot-pro.php

I’ve been using them for a few years and quite like them. Used them on a round bar trailer, round bar truck rack and a factory Honda CRV rack. Worked like a charm in all instances.

Check out these articles
http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showCategory.html?category=14

I’m not sure about your specific rack, canoe or tie-down method. There should be little problem securing your canoe, whether with ropes or straps, unless it has tumble home. Then brackets are useful.

:Load Stops" are nice, but …

– Last Updated: Jan-20-13 9:05 AM EST –

... you will spend about $100 for a set of four from any big-name company like Yakima, Thule or Malone. when I decided I wanted blocks like that, I built a set that are a slightly less convenient to use but still as good as any you can buy for about $5, but they only fit cross bars made from 2x4 lumber. Not everyone has the tools/skill to do that sort of thing, especially to fit a factory crossbar that's oblong in cross section.

In your case, one trick that works pretty well is to wrap a pair of loops around the boat at the front end of the rack, and at the rear end. For each pair, one loop ties to the edge of the rack, loops around the boat, and returns to the same spot. The other loop does the same thing but on the other side. If these are nice and tight, the boat can't move right or left "at all", though in actual fact, since the upper part of each loop is not horizontal between the hull and the tie-down point, the boat can move a little. There's no way to make it rock-solid when some ropes are not aligned exactly against the direction that the boat moves. However, the boat won't move much, and if it does it will always spring back again, so you won't have to worry about it getting too far out of place.

Also, if you provide ropes going forward and backward between thwarts on the canoe and some part of the boat rack and you will prevent forward-backward slippage far more effectively than bow and stern tie-down alone can do.

Walmart = cheap,BEST fix
I dont know what/why U have trouble. I have a 2001 Jeep G.C. with factory racks{NEVER had any falls or slide issues} I put Yakima racks on it. Still no issues.

Go to Wallyworld-or pool place-or anywhere in your town thats sells POOL NOODLES !!! Put a slit down the noodles[predetermined by rack shape] wrap around the rack, tape[where and as needed] with elec tape.

You just fixed your slide/fall issue for 5-10 dollars. My first "purrfixed’ job lasted 7 years, maybe?? 5oo - 600 trips.

OR no tape
then you can take 'em on and off in a few seconds

winter
when its out of season for the pool noodles you can always go to a hardware store and get pipe insulators and they are already preslitted.

lower profile and they will blend in with the rack.

Thanks for the information
I will try the pool noodles sounds like a good fix. If I cannot find them in the color I like might go with the pipeinsulation might blend in better. I just wished the racks were not so smooth.

CVG_Ohio

Loops alone, not enough
I tie my canoes to my Thule bars using GBG’s loop method, and that is not enough to keep the boat from moving. If there is a good stiff side wind, over time, my boats have moved several inches. In November, making a 945 mile driving north in westerly winds gusting 30 - 40, I used the remote mirror control to train my rear view mirror up at the cross bar and fearfully watched my boat walk itself to the edge of my Thule bars. I stopped in time and retied, adding sideways control knots around the towers. I didn’t loose the boat, but even with the added side-control knots, the boat wiggled and there was a lot of wear on the gunwales. The problem is exacerbated by tractor trailer traffic and the fact that I tie the boat with a lot more bow hanging off the bars than stern, so a sideways wind torques the bow end of the boat.

2x4 racks are far superior to most factory racks in this respect. If you take a couple of wraps around 2x4 racks, the rope doesn’t slide on the 2x4 and forms it’s own pseudo gunwale stop. On my Thule, I’ve been using webbing straps, because they seem to cling better to the Thule bars. So GBG may be able to get away with his approach on the 2x4s.

GBG, I’m put off by the $100 price the big-names charge for gunwale stops. I sketched out a couple wood block solutions with the idea of making something that was self-clamping–where the pressure of the rope or strap around the bar would compress the stop. I haven’t been able to come up with anything that would take only two hands to attach/tie, so haven’t moved beyond sketches. What have you come up with?

~~Chip

Hi Chip

– Last Updated: Jan-21-13 7:11 PM EST –

First off, I think my double-loop method might have an advantage on my rack that might not be possible with most, because I have secure anchor points for those side-to-side loops that are well out toward the rack ends. It simply isn't possible for the boat to move far, and it can't creep over time. I'd have to see your method to figure out why the boat can creep, but something is different from what I'm doing.

Another trick that I've mentioned before is to mount the canoe farther rearward on the rack than what "looks pleasing to the eye". If you place the boat so its centerpoint is about two to three feet behind center relative to the rack (the rack, not the vehicle itself), you'll reduce the effect of crosswinds and truck turbulence enormously (two feet rearward is usually plenty, but I might go with three feet in severe conditions). I can't recommend this strongly enough - it just works amazingly well. By the same token, if the boat is forward of center on the rack (usually, people do this to make the boat more centered in comparison to the overall length of the vehicle), that makes the effect of turbulence and crosswinds far worse. You've already pointed this out of course, but if I had to guess, I'd say moving the boat rearward of center by two feet cuts the effect of crosswinds down to about one-quarter of what it'd otherwise be (which is why I say it's "amazing").

Your idea for a two-piece gunwale block that locks in place via rope tension sounds very clever to me, and I bet there's a way to make it work, even if it means getting it locked with a separate rope (rather then the tie-downs). My gunwale blocks that fit 2x4s consist of a piece of angle iron that's a little longer than the width of the 2x4. They are padded on the surface which contacts the boat with plastic tubing having a short length of rope inside to keep it "fluffed" (this also insures that the little bolts on each end of the tubing which hold it to the metal won't contact the gunwales, though they are covered with thick plastic too). There's a downward-pointing bolt welded to each end of the angle iron, and those bolts go through holes in a matching, flat steel plate that fits against the bottom side of the 2x4. Tightening nuts on those bolts clamps the 2x4 between the top angle iron and the bottom plate. Since the bolts are welded to the top piece, assembling the bracket can be done pretty easily with one hand if necessary, such as while reaching to the back side of a canoe that's already on the rack, and tightening each nut is a one-handed operation too since the bolts won't spin. If I couldn't weld, I'd get bolts that were threaded their full length, and lock them in place with nuts on the bottom side of the angle iron.

Someday I'll replace my broken camera so I can illustrate things like this, rather than describe them.

Here’s what I did
Shop made stop blocks.

http://imageshack.us/a/img390/5739/block2xt0.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img390/9472/block1br1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img390/5825/block3io3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img390/2004/block4sw5.jpg

Those look good
I carry different boats and sometimes two boats, so I want stops that are easy to reposition. Something like those would work if I added thumb wheels–it looks like you need to get out the screwdriver when you want to reposition yours.

~~Chip

Very nice!
I like those wood blocks! I think I would rather go through the trouble of making something like that than paying Yakima almost $80 for four L-shaped stops and two stupid straps I already have. No, they won’t sell them without the straps, only in a kit.

attachment points
Or get some heavy nylon rope and tie your boat with a trucker’s hitch and save your self some money.

attachment points
Or get some heavy nylon rope and tie your boat with a trucker’s hitch and save your self some money.

Yes - tools required
They could use a redesign with thumb screws, but I don’t move them much.

Yes
Same with Thule.

What did you use?
Obviously, you used some nice hardwood for the blocks. But what is the other half, the black part underneath?

Nice wood working there :slight_smile:
I was thinking the same thing but thought about PVC. I Like the nautical look of the wood. What was the block made of underneath? That would definately solve the problem of the canoe sliding off the rack as it comes on and off.

Thanks for the information!

CVG_Ohio

Cam straps and rope
What tie down method are you using? I strap my sixteen foot canoe fore and aft with cam straps and use a bow rope in an inverted V shape tied with a trucker’s hitch. This locks it in place pretty well even in the four and six lane trucking corridors I have to travel to get to most of my rivers.