canoe trip on lake fontana

we are planning a 3 day canoe trip with our two kids 8 and 13. we would like to know where to rent a canoe and where to get started

thank you

debbie

google produced this…
http://www.fontanavillage.com/marina/marina.htm

Says they rent canoes and kayaks. Have fun with your kids!

Maybe this will help.
First off, I am Jealous! If you have not spent time in this are, you are going to love it. Fontana is great because it is so tight and remote and has the Smokey Mountains as a shoreline. Beyond the lake, there is world clas hiking, mtn. biking and whitewater within minutes.

There is a wonderful campground located in Almond, NC called Turkey Creek. The owners are Mike and Rammel and they are the best. You can probably contact them and they can give you some guidance regarding the rental, and maybe you could end your trip using their campground, which has a fantastic shower house and laundry. Oh, and every morning they have fresh baked goods and coffee at the office.

If you do make contact, make sure and tell them that Jay from Illinois says “Hey”

http://www.turkey-creek.com/

Good Luck and have fun

Jay

Due to drought, expect low Fontana
water and a deep bathtub ring. If you can rent boats and move them, you will probably find nearby Calderwood full or near full, and less motorboaty. Sometimes Santeetlah has been full in spite of the drought. Cheoah, the lake just below Fontana, usually stays at full pool. Boats can be put on at the mouth of 20 Mile Creek.

3 day trip

– Last Updated: Jul-13-08 12:42 PM EST –

you can rent canoes at the fontana marina. not sure of the rate. get a free camping permit at the kiosk near the marina and set out for eagle creek. there is a nps campsite at the mouth of the creek. next day head for hazel creek and plan to spend at least one, though 2 nights there would be better. swim, fish, and explore the relics of the abandoned town of proctor. don't worry about the low water. it just means a steeper walk up to the campsite. fontana is a beautiful lake full or half empty. be aware that there is significant motorized traffic on the lake, especially on summer weekends, but the lake is large enough that i've never felt too crowded. i made this same trip for my kids first canoe camping experience and it was a great experience. hope yours is too.

harry