Canoecopia 2020

Winter’s wearing on. Time to make plans. Planning for Canoecopia is a great pace to start. this is not an ad, just a heads up. Schedule is up online now. Check out the speaker schedule. Always a good time, lots to learn, and plenty of food for thought…

Thanks. Checked it out. A number of very interesting presentations. Drive or fly? Some of our most ferocious Great Lakes snowstorms have arrived in March.

Will contemplate as I watch the snow fall tomorrow.

Kinda-sorta thinking of extending my “long drive…long kayaks” from Florida to Grand Rapids to include Canoecopia before heading back to Florida With my new/used boats. You’re right, quite an impressive list of speakers!

I used to go to Canoecopia when living in the area, and have always checked the website.
I don’t see that Cliff Jacobson is a presenter this year.

I’ll always remember a question asked of him regarding a paddlestroke.
His answer was - you paddle in the direction you want the boat (he was speaking of canoe, but same for kayak) to go.
That’s pretty much worked for me throughout my paddling days, whether it be the forward stroke, draw, pry, rudder, brace, etc-add all of those fancy strokes you can think of here.

Cliff is there.

Just got word - CANOECOPIA CANCELLED
Hope its not too late for those who are already on the road… but its off.

Are you sure about that? Nothing to that effect on their website:

https://www.paddlers.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1303&fbclid=IwAR0FBCBMW7KHe0yvj5dHH9VHXprMyuo8rBATB3ZWa-j2ssGuzb_JpwI2Mws

I have read that a number of exhibitors and presenters have pulled out.

Canceled

I see that update now.

I think we all need to go paddling.

2 Likes

ok

A wonderful experience, turning out the noise of the world and hearing only the music of the water.

Keeping an eye on the wind forecast up here for the weekend. All inland waters still frozen but the bay ice might have been moved.

Agreed, we all need to go paddling… that’s part of the beauty of Canoecopia. Just when many of us northerners are about to go stir crazy an event like this really gives a kick-start to the season and gets us fired up.
The river here is open but so far nobody I know has made any suggestions for a river trip. So shuttles are problematic at best. I’ve been visiting landings and can’t help noticing that there are NO tracks in the sand or snow that would indicate anybody else has hauled a canoe or kayak yet at any of those landings either. Water’s still dangerously cold and the weather this time of year makes camping iffy for most. It could be done, but it might be a bit of a long night.
So here’s a vicarious substitute:

It’s old (1984). Many have seen it, though I’d also bet some here haven’t. But its a beautiful thing and helps put me, at least, in a better frame of mind if I can’t paddle. Hopefully others will enjoy it also. Better than cable news or reruns of “Friends”…

PS: Sorry about slow reply. I was just heading out when I heard of the cancellation and just fired up a quick post on my way out the door in case it might save some one an unnecessary drive. Haven’t been back to my computer till now.

Well, made it from Florida to Cincinnati and was in my hotel in prep to continue north the next day when I finally saw it posted that Canoecopia was canceled. Bummer, but I get it. I sure was checking the website my while drive but what can you do! I’m healthy right now (I hope)!
Wasn’t a complete waste of a drive. Picked up a couple of pre-owned Valley boats and brought them back to Florida!

Big bummer for sure. It was the governor who made the call with little advance notice, prohibiting any gathering of more than 250 people. Rutabaga had no choice and is now operating with no more than ten people (including staff) in the store at once.

Glad your travels weren’t for naught. Enjoy your new boats!

I love the old school whitewater runs that begin around 46:06 - tandem boats and hockey helmets…

Yeah, I particularly like the tire inner tube flotation on that red canoe in the initial shot and that later swamps at about 48:50. I wonder if those can even be found in such a large size in the age of tubeless tires.