Can't find option that works to load by myself

@Nicole said:
I’m not sure what cheap blocks would work with the Thule 480 bars. Haven’t researched because all of this has been a bit exhausting.

I have already told you: Kajaksport model #276112 (if they are sold in the US) . They are cut for your exact bars. I have the same model bars as you do, and they fit perfectly.

They will squeal a lot lot if you push the kayak forward with the full weight on the foam. But they will stay in place without rolling or slipping.

Some people put a towel over the foam block to the rear to avoid the squealing and use less force to push the kayak forward. But since you use a roller which will take some of the weight while pushing the kayak, that will probably not be necessary for you.

@Nicole
OK - on options that have been suggested to you…
Thule Slipstream would work. It may require rethinking the underlaying arrangement since you are currently set up for two boats. But maybe not and it is a good long term solution.

You have the aero bars, which preclude some of the tools like the slide out to the side bar unless there is something out there which which I am unfamiliar.

(Just edited this because I realized you have a hatchback)
Amagansett Roller Loader - WOULD work. Maybe the 10 inch wheel because that is a purty big spoiler. Your rear window is on the smaller side, it’d handle the momentary weight just fine. We used it for years on a variety of vehicles with much larger rear hatch windows at varying angles. Of course would want to replace the Jbars on one side with glide pads/saddle. That part is not way pricey. The Rollerloader with 10" wheels comes in at $189. http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/store/rollerloader-with-10-wheels/ab8cdbec-129c-43e5-bfce-daf7946c121d?category=rollerloader%20products

@allen olesen
I don’t think you fully get OPer’s problem. As someone of the OPer’s size, the problem is not what is on the bars. The problem in terms of weight carrying is getting the boat to the point where it is over the bars to start with. The rear bar is over two feet in from the edge of the rear spoiler. She can’t carry enough of the weight of the boat to clear the rear of the car and get the front of the boat over that rear bar. It is that phase where she needs something to assist.

Back to Nicole - I understand that this is frustrating but you have had a couple of things suggested which will work. Unfortunately other than the Thule Slipstream they require that Thule be familiar with a device made by another company. See what Thule says, but also take some time to breathe deep and think about the non-Thule devices. If you stay with this activity, at some point you will want something that greatly simplifies the situation. But that doesn’t have to be right now.

@Celia said:

@allen olesen
I don’t think you fully get OPer’s problem. As someone of the OPer’s size, the problem is not what is on the bars.

Could you please read what I was replying to? I even quoted it, so it should be quite easy.

She specifically said that she had not found foam blocks which fit her bars. I informed her which model foam block will fit her bars.

Thanks everyone. I got some Malone Velcro on pads, moved the j racks all the way apart, and invested in. Sherpa roller, some carpet and a small ladder.

I can now load and unload by myself without feeling like the boat is going to drop on the car, or me drop from shoulder pain.

Thanks to all who offered support and suggestions to this newbie tiny weak paddler.

I’m keeping the J racks because it gives me some security and I can get my little ones Pelican sitnon up there no problem.

@Allen Olsen
Sorry, l was trying to get out of town for a long drive and reply to what seemed to have been an unnecessarily stalled problem at the same time. As of Nicole’s just prior reply, it seemed that she had not solved the problem of getting the boat over the back of the car to start with. I did not go back and get the context of what aspect of that the foam blocks handled. Just looked at the Herpa Rollr, something new to me. Unclear how it handles getting by the spoiler, but it seems an interesting design.

For what it’s worth…some good comments here. J saddles can be a pain to load a kayak onto, despite their advantages. Saddles work just as well but can easier to load. Two items I always use are a stable folding step stool and an old blanket. The step stool gives me a bit of height advantage (key word: stable). The blanket drapes over the rear hatch/spoiler and saves the cool new car from scratches. Cheap and effective.

Might wanna think about an upgrade? to a similar handling boat in a lighter(more expensive…I know) material… I know it’s not the easiest to hear but it’ll enable you to load & paddle anywhere for the present and foreseeable future. I’m of no help…been paddling canoes…but query everyone onboard here for similar boats made in light layups…etc. The companies that produce the lighter layups are going to be the winners over time, although I imagine most businesses keep everything to the quarterly time frame.

I just watched a video of the Yakima ShowDown. I believe I counted 10 steps, which seems complicated, including kneeling down under the kayak and reaching up over it to attach the straps. With rear loading there are 4 steps: perch bow on rear of car; push up onto saddles; attach two straps (plus bow and stern straps, which all methods need). The device also seems expensive compared to simpler and cheaper methods that give a stable result.