Capella 166 RM skeg cable

Has anyone replace the skeg cable in their Capella 166 RM? I’ve apparently developed the skeg cable kinking skill. I’m wondering about how difficult it is and sources for the cable. To be honest, I haven’t looked at the cable run. Just sitting hear at work dreaming of being someplace else. Thanks for any help!

John

iirc there are two versions depending on
the year made…

one has the cable permanently attached to the skeg…

one has the cable and skeg separate…

easy fixes either way…

Skeg replacement
I had to replace the skeg/cable on my 166, it is easy to do. A P&H dealer should be able to get you a replacement for about $40 (I think that is what I paid for mine.) Just loosen the screw on the skeg lever (it is crimping the cable) and pull the skeg and cable out of the boat. It is worth it to rinse out the cable housing to remove salt and grit build up. Lube up and re-thread the cable, align the control lever and tighten the crimp screw (don’t over tighten or you might permanantly crimp the cable). The setup on the 166 seems prone to bending the cable. Since I’ve replaced mine I’ve been very careful about keeping the box clear of pebbles. I’ll take the cable out two or three times per season to clean out the housing and re-lube the cable. I’ve also tied a short string to the hole in the skeg and if I feel any resistance dropping it I’ll have a partner reach under and give it a pull. Good luck.

Skeg cable
$40 for a skeg cable? I admit I’ve never done a P & H cable, but a section of 1x19 stainless for my Valley boats costs about $7 at a marine supply. Maybe P & H uses something super special…

p&h skeg cable
My understanding is that there are two diff parts. one is skeg and cable complete and the other is cable only. year model of your boat determines which you need. Apparently the skeg and cable assembly is one where the cable has the skeg actually formed around it as opposed to clamped on.

john