Capsize recovery drill

I was packed for a 3 day kayak camping trip this last weekend with some close paddling friends. However, having a health issue come up that I felt would be impacted adversely by 3 days of paddling I backed out of the trip. As things turned out I felt compelled to do a required half day capsize recovery drill at the sailing club. It has had an impact on my recovery time, but not like 3 days of paddling in the sun. I thought I would share some photos of my other recent water activity.

I am hoping to crew with the Flying Scot racing fleet. I don’t own a Flying Scot, but they are crewed by two so hope to fill in when needed. This practice was required to do so. We paired up and did two capsizes each. We would take a turn going to the mast head and keeping the mast on our shoulder, and then going forward and getting in the boat. Next we did a turn going over the boat onto the center board and righting the boat. I didn’t have a problem doing any of this, and will practice on my wayfarer 16 as soon as I rig up mast head floatation. I am looking forward to crewing in some future races.

We were briefed on how to do this recovery step by step, and then shown an actual recovery before we took our turn.

Watching the demo. Some of the racers in the MC Scow fleet were also on the water practicing.

Some of the steps for a Flying Scot recovery.
Frist one person goes to the mast head, and puts the mast on their shoulder. The other one at the boat steps on the shroud that’s underwater then onto the seat back. Steps onto the base of the mast and swings a leg over the side. finally ending up standing on the centerboard. The person holding the mast then comes forward, and climbs into the boat laying on the seat.

Here is another view of the entire process of righting the boat. The man on the centerboard leans his weight back, and the boat slowly comes up. It is important to uncleat the main and jib sheets so the sails don’t act like scoops impeding the ability to right the boat.

1 Like

Maybe I don’t want to go sailing with you.

1 Like

LOL :rofl: I haven’t capsized my sailboats so far. Doubt I ever well capsize my Potter 19. It would have to be really bad out if I did. Not the kind of day I would go sailing. Hope to be able to right my Wayfarer 16 if I ever do capsize. The only times I have capsized my kayaks have been playing in the surf or for rescue practice.

Racers push it to the edge trying to win so are more likely to need to know how to do this quickly and get back in the race.

I took a sequence of stills off a video on an older smart phone. I think it might show things better.

Nice work considering there’s no mast head float on the FS.

I had a Butterfly for a while. Mast was 22’ tall. It had a tendency to turtle and was a nightmare to right.

I have never righted anything bigger than a Sun/Sailfish. But l got a fair amount of practice at that one… Turns out l do better with bigger sailboats.

Thanks Rookie in these last photos I’m the one climbing.

It is hard to tell in the photos, but there are two 1.5 inch thick closed cell foam panels in the top triangles of the main sail. Each foam panel is encased in sail cloth. It is sewn together and slipped over the head of the sail. The club rules require all boats in the racing fleets to have them. One person goes to the mast head anyway to insure the boat doesn’t turtle in conditions,

1 Like