Carbon Fiber paddles?

Hi guys,

I have a tsunami 140 on the way that I will take possession of next week. I need a paddle!

Several years ago I had a 1 piece aluminum shaft paddle with plastic blades. Very heavy but also indestructable.

The carbon fiber 2 piece paddles look interesting. Some questions:

1). I will be be disassembling the two-piece paddle for transport. Will the two piece shafts continue to feel solid after a few years of doing this? The paddle shaft halves need to lock together solidly…any “wiggle” in the shaft will drive me up a wall.

2). How durable overall are the carbon fiber shafts? I will likely get it with plastic blades to save some money. How will the paddle hold up to pushing off tight creek banks, or occasionally used as a pole? I am reasonably gentle on my equipment, but I don’t want to have to baby my stuff either.

I am 6’ with long arms, and most of my time will be spent doing “touring” type padding. I would like to keep the price at $150 or lower.

All advice on the above, or particular paddle recommendations greatly appreciated.

IBCGUY

not sure what the point would be
There’s not really much point in getting a carbon shaft paddle with heavy plastic blades, since the blades are contributing most of the effective weight, since they are farther away from the fulcrum. I’m not even sure any of the carbon paddle makers offer this option- usually carbon shafts are mated to carbon blades.

It sounds like for your purposes you would be better staying with a glass shaft mated to glass or plastic blades. Most two piece paddles will began to loosen up a bit over time- you can always pitch some duct tape over it to stop the wiggle.

Carbon paddles and blades aren’t fragile, but they’re not really designed to be abused either. I hit mine of rocks and stuff all the time, accidentally, but wouldn’t use them for poling, lifting rocks, etc.

Andrew

Under $150 for carbon? Oh, My…
I doubt if you will find any new carbon paddles for under $150.00.

Werner makes a carbon shaft with fiberglass blades for around $250 or so. I only know of one manufacturer that will let you put plastic blades on a carbon shaft, and that is Lendal.

Lendal make a 4 piece paddle. The shaft is in two pieces, and the blades are seperate. The shaft is available in carbon, or fiberglass, and either straight or crank. (I love their crank).

Lendal uses a “padlock” system to join the blades to the shaft, and to join the shafts together. It looks like a traditional snap button you push in to release it, but inside the button is a stainless set screw. I swear this is as stiff as a one piece paddle when tightened. I know of no other paddle that is a tight as the Lendal, except for a Carbon Werner I checked once ($375.00 paddle)

The problem with carbon paddle is they are expensive. You can buy a carbon Lendal Shaft, and put reinforced plastic blades on it, but I still doubt if it will be under $200.00. The shaft will be light, but the plastic blades will make it really heavy.

You can look into the Lendal Paddles by doing a search for them. Also Rutabaga.com sells these, so you can check their pricing.

I have the Lendal Carbon crankshaft, with the carbon Kinetik Touring blades, and I love it. It is light and great on the water. But it was far above your listed price range. The Padlock system makes the joints rock solid.

You will only get what you are willing to pay for.

Happy Paddling!

Lendal CF blades…

– Last Updated: Jun-02-05 12:57 PM EST –

are a combination of carbon and nylon, somewhat light and quite durable. I just got a 2-piece, 210cm, 60 degree, modified crankshaft (MCS) with the G1F shaft (I think 25% carbon and 75% fiberglass) with the CF kinetic touring blade. This makes for a reasonably (I think) light but tough combination with a paddle blade that can take some rock bashing. But is was still $300, 2x what you want to spend. If you went with a straight shaft it would be somewhat less cost. I'd love to have carbon blades, but I have the impression (maybe wrong) that I'd bash them to bits in a couple of days hanging around rocks.

I like the Lendal Padlock system as it solidly locks the shafts together (or paddles to shafts if you get a 4-piece) and as the shaft ages, it will continue to take slop out of the joint to a degree.

The Lendel Paddlock
gets my vote also. I have one on my Toksook and I love it.

The Toksook is a carbon paddle that was designed to be abused (metal tips for example) but that comes at a weight penalty. Was quite a bit more than 150 bucks too. There was a company in SC that produced a decent carbon paddle for about 195.00 (I own 2 of them) but I’ll be darned if I can come up with the name right now. No matter, as they are out of business now anyway…

Carpet fiber?
Why would you want a carpet fiber paddle?

Emily Latilla

The CF means…
The CF means “carbon fiber filled plastic”.

Carbon Fibers are molded into the plastic paddle to give it extra strength and stiffness.

As Foghorn leghorn would have said…
“Its a JOKE Son, a JOKE!”

Jim

Aquabound…
Makes a tuff carbon shaft and carbon FILLED blades for under $200…

http://www.aquabound.com/

Yup, aqua-bound
is what they had at the local dealer. I think the stingray was the one I looked at. Any thoughts on these?

IBCGUY

i use one as a spare (GP user)
It’s a nice light paddle with a decent catch and no flutter. For the price it’s a good value.

Duh… What do ya know??
That was a “Banker’s Joke”, as only the “teller laughs!”

Duh,… that;s the best I can do this late in the day! :slight_smile:

Happy Paddling! :slight_smile:

Lendal
I have two Lendal paddles - one the all carbon fiber 4-piece with crank shaft, and I wouldn’t want to be without it on a long trip.

I also have a two piece (from before Paddlock came out) with N12 nylon blades and a fiberglass shaft. It’s fairly heavy in comparison but almost indestuctable. That one would be closer to the $150 you have in mind. The shaft joint is nowhere near as tight as a Paddlock but they may make it that way now. I also agree that unless you have carbon blades, you won’t notice much of a difference in a carbon shaft. Most of the weight is in the blades, and added to that they act like a fulcrum so they feel even heavier.

Onno…I said it again
Best bang for the buck!!

Don’t know if you will hit your target price, but look up Patrick at Onno Paddles on the web or in Pacific Beach (San Diego) and he will fit you and help you out. He has the best quality, fitted paddles at great prices.

(No, this isn’t Patrick typing this)

ScottOI

Aquabond
It was my first non-plastic paddle. The I had was carbon fiber.

I beat the heck out of the thing for probably three years, including sitting on it fully to climb in and out of the boats in rocks with some inconvenient water action underneath. The two part attachment is just fine still and as above they have no flutter.

The downside is that the carbon fiber one is on the heavier side compared to carbon/graphite foam filled paddles, though light compared to the cheaper ones. Eventually you’ll crave lighter, and one that floats on the surface more aggressively and lightly for stuff like rolling. But the durability for the price is hard to beat.

Aqua Bound,…
Very good bang for the buck. My old touring EXP has been good to me for three seasons. I think it’s called the Ray series now. 33 ozs., paid $160, e-Bay had them for around 150.

One note…
Paddle blades may say “carbon” or “graphite” on them, these may be only reinforced plastic. Not bad but not “carbon fiber”. If you can’t see the woven fiber material in the blades it is not considered carbon fiber. Most of the reinforced blades are very good just not as light. GH

Go Onno for value
google onno and paddle and please if you boat is 24 inches of less get a 225 at the longest. I like a 215 myself.

Length DOES MATTER…
I have a 210cm for my 21" wide Outer Island 'yak…

…paddle, that is!! ;^)

Agree, Aquabound
I have a Manta Ray. Two-piece carbon shaft with a high-impact resistant plastic blade. I don’t have a lot “paddle” experience, but the AB Manta Ray is a pretty decent weight (33 oz) for a non-carbon/glass blade.

Look around for a sale on these (ie REI, EMS, etc.). You can get them for $100, $140 not on sale.

TheBigYaker