Carbon Kayak Paddle

PaddleDog52 and DoggyPaddler, I regret to let both of you know I confused your names while jumping between this post and the Aqua, vs. Werner post. Its too late to retract, but the lesson to me is the danger of referencing the name of any member without permission, or better still, ever doing it at all.

I returned to this thread to find the original post and first realized that the User IDs are similar, but clearly different. Be aware that I directed two forum members to check your posts and explained that you could provide direct comments on a topic. if you were confused by a post from me where I mention that I directed two members to contact you about a specific exchange, I hope this at least explains the confusion. Please let me know if there is something I can do to reverse this regrettable error. Iā€™m new to the forum and am still learning, but freely admit that I should have known better regardless.

No worries. Iā€™ll just howl at the moon. :wink:

Plus I think Paddledog and I were agreeing with each other on the basic idea that the Ikelos and the Kalliste are very different. But I use a Cyprus when Iā€™m not using my GP, so thatā€™s the end of my knowledge base.

1 Like

Yeooow! Howling is good. Still doesnā€™t excuse my indiscretion. You both peaked my interest on blade design and Iā€™m going to explore it first hand. The spirited evaluation of the Kalliste served more to reinforce my impression than discourage. I hope it demonstrated to any informed reader that we each value different features.

The information that pours out of these posts is overwhelming. I understand why a post should remain on point. Not because the info isnā€™t valuable, but I often go back to review a post and just canā€™t find it. Still, Iā€™m glad to have seen the topic. I think both of you enjoy a more . . . Intense paddling experience. Mine is rather subdued, yet intense in its own way.

That was my point with the Tsunami speed. Its to demonstrste two points. I found a log page that demonstrates your point by comparing different conditions over several trips to show the impact it has on speed. It also demonstrates the potential of a hull design. I think I nintentionally gave the mistaken impression that it showed hull speed - another issue. Rather than use the information to justify the model, I want to let other owners know how I think they can exploit the potential of their boat.

My enjoyment comes from evaluation and exploration. Although I believe you may not mind water in your nose, that isnā€™t my style, but you knowledge is still valuable to me and many other readers. Always a pleasure to engage.

Cyprus is listed as 22 oz with 94 sq in blade. The Kalliste is 99 sq in. I had no idea Werner had a model with less surface area in the blade. You got my attention. This is my point. I didnā€™t ask about an opinion or a different size paddle, yet I incidentally learned about something that I wish I could try.

Iā€™d take a Cyprus over a Kalliste in a heart beat. May get it for my partner next year with adjustable length shaft 200-220 any feather angle.

PaddleDog52. Got to look at the Cyprus.

1 Like

The difference between a high and low angle stroke with a Euro paddle comes after the catch, which is essentially the same. With a low angle stroke the paddle travels in close to a 45Ā° angle out from the boat. In a high angle stroke the paddle goes straight back alongside the boat. The release for both should be at about your hips.

The high angle stroke is somewhat more efficient because it does not cause the boat to veer slightly left and right as much as you paddle. Pretty much all people that paddle competitively with a Euro paddle use a high angle stroke, and some use protective tape on the sides of their boat to reduce the tendency to ding up the boat.

Of course nearly all competitive paddlers now use wing paddles, which are a different beast altogether.

If theyā€™re banging their boat theyā€™re not competitive and need a lessons.

Catch is different in low and high.

I got the impression that many of the posts are about wave kayaking. For those of you playing there. Whether you accept it or not, you guys have talent that isnā€™t within the reach of everyone. Itā€™s a world that requires rolling skills, fitted boats, and if Iā€™m interpreting it right, it looks like the shorter paddle keeps it close, presents less area for the pounding wave to catch and gves more control. The fluid and swift reaction is impressive. We live in two different world.

Iā€™m a distance paddler and practice efficient, fluid, repetitious techniques. My nephew was all over the place in a Tsunami. I tried the boat, then focused on his stroke - his blade entered the water at a 45Ā° face up attitude.

While I demonstrated my paddle technique, he noticed my boat rocked slightly. For any kayakers interested in distance paddling, I watched as I paddled and found I was micro edging (for lack of a better term) to correct the tendency to yaw off course. Even without using a range, my GPS shows I can track arrow straight, unless there is a strong quarter wind. The 250 paddle letā€™s me flatten the stroke and the release is around 45Ā° rather than along the boat. It slides out like a slice rather than a snap. The locked arms dip and rise on opposite trackā€™s, with the arms somewhat resembling the side swing of a speed skater. Execution is very rhythmic with high aroebic efficiency without hard starts and stop. When I need hard out paddling effort, I have an untapped resource. Whatā€™s left of my energy reserves is burned off in the lsst two mile in full power strokes, while alternating between low angle and power bursts. This opened my trips to longer distances without dropping speed.

ā€œand if Iā€™m interpreting it right, it looks like the shorter paddle keeps it close, presents less area for the pounding wave to catch and gves more control.ā€

You have more control with a wider bracing stroke when doing high angle in rough water.

Got it. But the videos looked like short paddles. Maybe Iā€™m looking a camera angle distortion.

Theyā€™re not banging the boat. They were moving the paddle very tight along the side of the boat. With waves and such sometimes the paddle skims along the side of the boat.

A nonissue now as pretty much all competitive racers use wing paddles which do not stay as close to the side of the boat through the whole stroke.