Carbon kevlar kayak hull

When unloading a boat do not stop until the boat is completely off of the car. And when loading do not let anything interrupt you until it is completely strapped down.

Depending on the size and shape of the boat it need not be particularly light to blow off. In addition I’ve seen cases where a person had their boat partially strapped down or just on the rack when they stopped to help someone else. Coming back to their car they forgot to finish the job and drove off with catastrophic results.

Kayak Disaster

In this case there were two errors. He stopped to help a friend and forgot to put on the front strap. He also did not use bow and stern tie downs. The result was when he reached highway speed the front of the kayak lifted up and tore the whole rack off of his car. This photo is after he retrieved the rack from the middle of the road and has it leaning on the side of his car. Fortunately no one behind him was hit or ran into the rack and kayak. Note that the rear cam buckle strap did not break.

1 Like

Yow! I know a guy who had a canoe blow off in transit. He didn’t know it until he got home. Never found it.

This is very helpful because it is so specific. Thank you!How terrible that his kayak was destroyed like that!

Is that the driver pictured in the photo? If so, why is he wearing a PFD and drysuit?

Looks more like he backed into building…

1 Like

I don’t know who is in the picture. Can’t be positive if he is wearing a PFD or something else slung over his shoulder. It’s fairly common for people to wear their dry suits on short drives on a cold day rather than put them on and take them off at the launch site. The picture and story behind it came from a paddling blog in Wales in 2014. The kayaker managed to borrow another boat to paddle that day. He was 15 minutes into a 30 minute drive.

We have been using this story and picture in a class we offer.

He’s definitely wearing a PFD. The front pocket is easy to spot and his hydration tube is attached.

Whatever, boat is certainly a mess.