Carbon Kevlar QCC-700

I checked the QCC site and was
surprised that they seem to provide less information on layup and function than many other high class sites.

This doesn’t necessarily concern me because they have their little what-do-you-want-to-do questionaire, and they seem to welcome phone calls from prospective buyers.

I think if I were buying, I might end up with a fiberglass layup, for stiffness, unless the QCC people were able to convince me that the carbon layup was stiff enough.

No way
I can’t keep up with you now.

If you had a 700, you would be home drinking a beer, and I would only be half way across Black Water Sound.

Cheers,

JackL

If you call Steve and ask him, he will
give you the exact information you need. He will not sell you a boat that he thinks might not completely satisfy you. If you buy a boat from him and you are not completely satisfied, you call him up within (I think) 30 days and he takes it back no questions asked. This was his policy last spring and I assume that it is the same today. The carbon Kevlar is a nice layup, but over areas as large as the 700 has to span, it may (may, ask Steve) be stressed with 235lbs in the wrong area. Bill

The first way is good if you turn the

– Last Updated: Feb-01-10 5:56 AM EST –

screws several times a year, but unless they have changed from plastic to aluminun or stainless, they would bind up and break.
In the past, I have broken three of them until I smartened up and found it is just as quick to do it from the rudder end.
Just take the tiny cotter pin out of the "wedgie" that holds the cable tight. Then ease the wedgie back until the cable is lose. Then either take up on the cable or loosen it, depending on which way you want the peddle to go, and tighten the "wedgie" back up and reinstall the cotter pin.

Cheers,
JackL

Not sure if it gathers dirt or not
but I have been using it on ours for the past seven years, three or four times or more a year, and it works well for us.

Cheers,

JackL

If you compare the QCC-700 or any
other QCC with the Epic 18, which are very similar style boats, the Epic 18 is built like crap compared to the QCC.

cheers,

JackL

Hey jack
why dont you just get a Ski and be done with it L

It’s more fun on the starting line

– Last Updated: Feb-04-10 6:06 AM EST –

to invite the guys on ski's to hang on to my 700 until the gun goes off.
Sometimes I have one on each side hanging on for dear life. Especially if there is a chop.

Besides, there is no way I would want one for touring/nature watching.

And lastly I tried Gregs Huki one year. It went something like this: "Jack, just straddle the boat - keep both legs over the side. - When you're ready to go pull your legs up and in and paddle at the same time"
I pulled my legs up and in and then as I was shaking like hell, I heard: "jack you have to paddle!"
- Oops, right I forgot that. - started paddling out into Blackwater Sound, and then decided I better turn this thing around and get back to firm ground. - Eased one rudder pedal forward about 1/32nd of an inch and felt like I was going to go over, so I straightened it back out- finally figuring that I would pretty soon be the four miles acros the sound, I really got my courage up and with the ski gods on my side managed to turn it around in about a mile diameter circle and then aimed right back to shore.
I probably broke every record in the books getting back, and when my two legs went over the side and touched sand, it dawned on me that it was now ok to breathe.

Cheers,
jack

PS I knd of like "Scupper Sally's" Isthmus though

Jack
When your on a ski, the key is to relax. Being tense causes that shaking. I know, I did it the first time I got on my ski. Learning to turn was a bitch too, so I feel for you. Try it again, and get some seat time. You’ll get more comfortable in no time.

Best part about the ski is the minimalist aspect of it. They’re light, easy to carry and you can’t take much with you. Grab the boat, your PFD and paddle and get on the water.

Andy

As far as I am concerned
It is a useless boat, unless you want to race it or are looking for a work out type boat.

I wouldn’t want one.

I have good friends that graduated from the QCC’s to the skis and I’ll bet they probably would aree with my above statement

Cheers,

jackL

What PFD?

I like the work out aspect

– Last Updated: Feb-02-10 9:25 PM EST –

It just feels so good when it starts to come together. I've got a long way to go, but I'm enjoying the ski. I don't paddle it in cold weather..yet. I'll start again in the spring. For day long paddles, I prefer my Artisan.

Go for the carbon kevlar QCC. A light boat is a pleasure to paddle and carry.

Andy

Sewing Machine Leg
Jack, great description of your maiden voyage. I was chuckling envisioning an exaggerated image of one falling to one’s knees to kiss the sweet, stable earth. Did you experience the dreaded ‘sewing machine leg’, where one leg judders uncontrollably like you were pumping an old pedal actuated Singer?

Remember when the Q-ship would have seemed impossibly unstable?

Isn’t it amazing how we progress!
Now if only I could go faster instead of OLDER !

Cheers,

jackL