Carolina 14(?)

Finding that my Dirago 12 is a bit too small and slow when doing multi-day trips, especially when everyone else is paddling 14-16’ boats. I bought a Perception 14 Carolina, used, from a sporting good store (had $100 in credit there to make the purchase easier to do).

Spent the rest of the weekend replacing the bungie, adding a bunch of pad-eyes, deck line, paddle holder, bulkhead vents, deck-compass mount, etc. Basically customizing the boat to my needs as it was one step above a bare-boat. Perhaps eventually a rudder(?) and sail kit.

But when I checked the websites and such, all the pics I see show a larger stern hatch while my “new” boat has the smaller round hatch.

Then when I measured the length, it measured out to be 14’ 7-8" long when every other boat is always 4-6" BELOW the stated length. Kayak makers round up, not down.

So, Did Perception make a Carolina 15?

Can anyone tell me anything about this obviously older version?

14.5 and 15.5
Checkout the reviews on here…

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showKayaks.html?manf=128

There used to be a 14.5 and 15.5.

Find the hull id/serial number. The last four characters will give you the model year and year made. First character should be a letter indicating the month made - A=Jan, B=Feb and so on. Next character is the model year. The last two digits is the year made.

Once you have the year it was made go check out the older Perception catalogs here: http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/pages/index/customer_service/archived_catalogs

How do you like the Perception seat?

seriel #
>>Find the hull id/serial number.

WEM97M14B999

The last four characters will give you the model year and year made.

So 1999??

First character should be a letter indicating the month made - A=Jan, B=Feb and so on. Next character is the model year. The last two digits is the year made.

So Feb 1999?

Thanks.

How do you like the Perception seat?
Hard!

I’m going to have to buy a blue-foam pad and glue it down for some comfort.

Right
That kayak was a 1999 model made in Feb 1999. Looks like that was the 1st year for the Carolina and it only came in one size.