Carry ID?

Before paddling the Cheat Canyon …
, the first time, I wrote my name and address with indelible marker inside my canoe. Figured that if they found the boat but not the body, at least the dead dots could be connected.

Aside from that, I carry an old business card with names and contact numbers in a mini rescue drysack I can carry on my belt or clip in the boat, and also my wallet in a larger drybag I almost always take too.

The dogtag with additional medical info sounds like a good idea.

ID
I have one of these velcro’d to my PFD.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx?referrer=4252&gclid=COnYi87o95wCFSMeDQodwSXjaw

It’s also reflective. ID info, emergency ID numbers and med history if necessary.

emanoh

thats cool
I would like

Name

Phone #

Health Insurance Provider

“No pre existing conditions.”

That way if I do hit my head they can rule out some other condition.

road id
I also use RoadID. Has held up for several years of regular use. Have gone from wearing on my wrist (was a hassle with gloves, gaskets etc) to leaving it velcroed to PFD. good product.

Same here
Prefer not to take my wallet in case of a capsize, but don’t feel the wallet is safe in the car, certainly not for a multiday trip. My car was broken into once; not fun.

Color copies of ID
I made color copies of my Driver’s License and fiberglassed them into my boats. A light 2oz cloth will secure it to the inside of a hull, even a RX boat. Now my boat is identified as mine, and there’s built in body identification in case . . .

If I ever sell the boat (if) I can sand the ID off the hull.

I carry
my expired drivers license, credit card, and back up cell phone (pda phone at home) with my number call forwarded to back up phone (with ICE listed in contacts), all packed in a small water tight container in dry bag. Also wear a small tag (aluminum) with name, address, 2 contact numbers of family. You can get these tags at your local pet supply stores for $5. or so. Have used RoadID when bike riding (ID required with our club) and after a year, the print came off…yeah, made in China.

If you paddle in Canada
you must have your passport on you at all times.

I make backups and leave a copy with an expediter. I never leave ID in the car.

I wear my passport in my waterproof ditch kit.