Carrying Place "Jack's Special" canoe

Recently I had the pleasure of purchasing an original 10 to 20 year-old canoe. I estimate the age based upon my own experience (exact date unknown). The canoe is fast and efficient, especially when heeled properly. I used a sandbag to trim the canoe (photo included).

The Ottawa River is a terrific test-bed of both capability and endurance. This canoe performed very well on calm days and with winds up to 20km / hour. Once in a while the bow (behind me in solo position) would get blown about, but nothing that couldn’t be corrected for.

This “Jack’s Special” resembles most, in my humble opinion, an old-fashioned Chestnut cruiser (Kruger circa 1910 or similar), not a Chestnut Chum, which seems more rounded and soft lines!! It is 14 1/4 inches deep, 15 feet long and 33 inches wide at centre. The rocker is amazing (more in bow) and the tumblehome is very good. In a way, it also resembles a modern Esquif Prospecteur, with similar measurements, including a very good rocker, only all natural!

Personally I would always choose a natural canoe over a plastic one, but that is personal preference. I’ve paddled aluminum, royalex, fibreglass and kevlar composites, cedar strip, amongst others.

Hey Jack, welcome to the family!

Happy paddling!

Your instincts are fine. Wooden boats sometimes absorb some water and seal up better after they are wet for awhile. Expect a little leakage, but not more than the amount of water that people bring in the boat by entering when wading.

I paddled a wood and canvas Old Town for 30 years. When the canvas finally failed, I took it off, but repairing the old boat was a long and tedious process and I gave up on it.

Enjoy your boat the way it is. A little paint will not hurt a thing. Best of luck. I really loved paddling a Guide 18. I have sold my last canoe.

1 Like