CD Caribou deal

Not a Manitou.
The kayak pictured in that Craigslist ad, is not a Manitou. It appears to be an older Necky Zoar. Be careful with Craigslist.

Darn.
Was looking forward to hearing how you progressed with the Bou…

Gotta get one.
We do not get long summers up here in the North, so I can’t sit and dwell on losing that Caribou, which I pretty much set my mind on. I tellya, I was like a child that didn’t get the toy I wanted, lmao. It sucks, but been looking at other options. So far I am interested and have been researching these, that are local in my area.

Perception Shadow.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/for/5582405847.html

Walden Passage, cheap and reviews seem good on it.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5628676778.html

Wilderness System 14 foot. Looks good, smaller 14 foot, but I’m ok with it as long as it has good tracking reviews. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/spo/5663521044.html

I also found a Perception Carolina in resonable condition…It’s been used pretty good, scratches and such, but hull looks straight…cheap at 300.00 It’s a 14 footer.

Also a Perception Eclipse…I hear those are pretty unstable for nyone first getting into Kayaking. I’m up to the challenge. I want to be more than just a recreation paddler…no offense,

Anyways… If any of these look like good deals on a good Kayak, please let me know. I need to get going on this, summer is slipping away for me in the North.

Go cheap now.

– Last Updated: Jul-02-16 1:20 PM EST –

If you just need to pull the trigger on something. The Carolina 14 will be fine, to get through the season. You should be able to get your money back later, with a resale. Then be patient on upgrading later. Folks up north, tend to unload kayaks in the fall. Then you may find a better deal, on a better boat.

The Perception Shadow is over priced. It has been around for many years. You would be hard pressed, not to loose money on a resale.

The Tsunami is bit over priced as well. It is a good starter kayak. They tend to be quite stable. At $850, it will be hard to get your money back later.

Stay away from "the Manitou" seller. He is advertising a Zoar, as a Manitou. The Zoar, would be worth around $300 as well. It is certainly not worth $700.

Good Luck.

Ditto
The op is letting ads guide his picking and not his experience. Just get anything cheap and go.

Agreed.
Thanks for the help on this.

I’mm going to keep this cheap for sure now…Just need to get something 14 foot or longer for around 700 or less.

What about the price on this Perception Eclipse?

http://utica.craigslist.org/boa/5602833796.html

And I seen this today on craigslist… seems like a sweet, little kayak.

Really interested in this one.

http://utica.craigslist.org/spo/5646197996.html

Aquaterra…
I don’t see a front hatch which indicates it doesn’t have a bulkhead and it’s a rec boat and not suitable for learning skills.

CD Vision 150

– Last Updated: Jul-04-16 9:33 AM EST –

This just popped up locally...http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5664471719.html

This looks near perfect of what I am looking for.
Looks like they take care of it, from the way it is stored in the pictures.

They want 900.00 is that Too much? Should I offer 700.00?

15 footer, 48 pounds, looks nice...nice color.

So? any ideas?

Be careful
My first instinct would be that in the Vision 15, you’re that close to having a sea kayak, but you miss it. My second thought after looking at the boat on the CD website, it seems to have a complete lack of rocker. If that is correct, the boat will be a pita to turn without the rudder until you get pretty good with your paddle.

I have to admit I’ve never paddled a Vision so I could be way off the mark, but my real concern is that with a little luck, you could probably find a Sirocco for about the same money and then you’d have a real sea kayak.

Either way, in spite of how well it looks like the boat has been treated, the boat is polyethylene and it should be looked at very closely to be sure there is no warpage. Always turn the boat upside down and sight down the keel line. It should be absolutely straight from stem to stern. Most boats will have some curvature (rocker)–that’s per design, but … I think you get the idea. If there is any deviation from straight, the boat will never paddle right.

I am not a big believer in starter boats for a lot of reasons, so just be aware, the Vision is most likely at best a starter boat.

Eclipse
Then there is this. http://utica.craigslist.org/boa/5602833796.html

I read that it is quite tipsy, but that is ok. I want to learn to paddle well.

It’s 17 foot, pretty heavy, but can’t be choosey right now. He dropped it down to 500.00

Seems like a fair deal, but who nows, lol

Condition good? Warning!, Warning!
Unless the seller is prone to gross missassessment, this boat might not be as good as the pictures. Also there is a bit of discrepancy in the length dimention. Is the boat 17’-1/2", or is it 17.5’? The difference is significant.

Understand, if the weight is correct, you will need a cart.

If the boat is really in “good” shape, it actually should be worth every bit of That $500. I wouldn’t go for it at half the price, but that’s just me.

weight
It’s a beastly heavy boat. It might not matter that much on the water, but off the water you’ll be unlikely to have much joy moving it hither and yon.

Rudder

– Last Updated: Jul-04-16 7:34 PM EST –

Visions I see on web site have rudders. 1499 new. It looks like good shape and stored nicely. What year is it?

any poly boat that length

– Last Updated: Jul-05-16 9:26 AM EST –

is going to be pretty heavy. You have to decide how much you can spend, and what kind of paddling you want to do. Then get some recommendations and work with what you know.

I know how one gets the buyer's itch, especially after missing out on a good deal. But look at it as an opportunity to define your parameters and budget, and get something you won't regret buying in a few months.

vision
For what its worth, I am familiar with the sellers of the Vision. Last ear they had a Tsunami 160 for sale for $800 in their yard that I checked out. It was in like new condition, really welled cared for. When we spoke I believe that the Vision was newer, but not for sale. I would have bought the Tsunami but struggled getting into it . Nice people, and they definitely take care of their boats. Also the Vision 150 is 60lbs.If that is the kind of boat you are looking into, the condition and price make this a great deal.

I have paddled…
…a regular Vision 150 (the fiberglass one); the Vision in the ad is really a 150R - R for rotomolded.

I also own a Vision 140 with a skeg as my day tourer and my wife has a Vision 130 that I also paddle once in a while. There really isn’t much difference between any of them although the skeg on my 140 does help with any weathercocking.

CD makes a very nice boat. At 24" the Visions are a just a little wider and have a slightly larger keyhole cockpit than a true sea kayak, and their flatter profile makes them a little wetter ride in rough water. But they are light in weight, easy to transport and store, very stable, quick enough, track and glide well but are still quite maneuverable (in spite of limited rocker), edge well, and they can carry enough cargo for everything but an extended trip. The seat, and all the fittings are very nicely done.

Perception Eclipse.
I think I might pull the trigger on the Perception Eclipse, 500 bucks. Heavy and long, but it’s a real sea Kayak I can jump right into for cheap. Also it is only like 25 miles from me, so I guess I’ll go see it tomorrow night.

I can’t screw around anymore…tired of ‘Not paddling’ and seeing everyone having fun out there but me.

The Vision is nice, but too pricey for me ATM.

why
do you keep waiting to go…that is one thing I thought that you might have learned from this…if you find a kayak you want…GO {the other people will}

Best Wishes

Roy

BTW the eclipse is the perception name for the Sea Lion after they bought out the company…{Aquaterra}

and
always go with cash…no checks

I’m going.
I Sent emails to both the people with the eclipse and the vision 150… The Vision would probably be the best bet for me, If he replies soon and we make arrangements, I’ll look at it tomorrow night…Will offer 800.00 and hopefully take it home. I don’t question the shape of it, because it seems they really cared for it. it’s not a true sea Kayak you can edge and learn advanced skills in, but it’s a 15 footer and bigger water suitable. Also has room and gurth enough for if I want to do a day trip. At least I can get my ass out on the water and learn how to paddle efficiently and well, before I go to a narrower boat and learn edging and advanced stuff. For right now, season is slipping by and I just need to get out there right now!!

So yes if he will accept 800.00 I’ll take it home…even so…I might even pay the full shot…I bet it is a nice, big boat in person and that may drive the way my wallet thinks.

Anyways… I’m done farting around…it’s this week or never, lol.