CD Solstice Titan

I see where there is one review on this boat on the site. I would be interested in any other observations/reviews if any others have had exposure to this model.

BIG

– Last Updated: Feb-28-07 10:45 PM EST –

as much as I like how CD makes kayaks and the range of their boats I don't see a super deep Solstice as the best method for making a kayak for a 275lb+ paddler. It's a hard to turn kayak, sinking the same hull shape deeper in the water will only make it harder to turn. This is something that gets bothersome in waves and tight quarters.

The way to make a kayak accomodate a big footed person isn't to make the deck even higher, changing the shape of the deck makes more sense. A Chatham 18 deck for example.
I'd rather see a Gulfstream like hull that's a smidge wider and fuller to the ends with a larger coaming to accomodate the XXL sized paddler.

Necky tried selling the big guy kayak, the Pinta, but I guess low sales made them stop it. I have a friend who's a muscular 325lbs and it's absolutely a perfect displacement and maneuverable.

Although the coaming isn't extra big I'd suggest looking at a QCC500 for the XXL sized kayak if you want a ruddered boat but want some maneuverability.

perhaps, but…
this gent mentioned a camping worthy sea kayak for the Everglades. if ocean play and tight quarter maneuvering are not in your plans, which would put you right in the middle of the majority of sea kayakers, this boat would work well. it has a good rudder system, durable, simple and effective. 260 is a big fella. and depending on your mobility and flexibility, you may really appreciate the cockpit opening. due to it’s depth it may be a handful in the wind, but we kayakers can overstate that sometimes. i’ve paddled big sea canoes in the ocean and that would be worse yet. ultimately, if you can try one yourself, that will be the best way to see how you feel about this boat. finding one, may prove to be difficult.

agreed
Have you been in a LookshaV? I wonder if that’s a better hull shape for a 275lb paddler. Do the everglades require a maneuverable kayak?

There are portions that require
a manueverable kayak such as the backcountry creeks but it’s mostly flatwater paddling. We have a few 17 - 17-6 long kayaks in our paddling group and have had no problems.

For Sailor and everyone else who paddles the 'glades the biggest problem is his weight and the weight of not only the camping gear but the water that needs to be brought in at 1 gallon per day (8lbs per gallon).

Tesla HV or Pinta
I’d look around for one of those

CD makes a LV Titan
Current Designs offers a LV Titan which is a better fit for the large but not too tall. I recall that the deck is 3/4 to an inch lower than the standard Titan.

LV Titan!?!?
i don’t know why that strikes me as so funny…

Quick BIG, comparison
Just a few words,… The solstice is a nice kayak, for straight line touring. it is one of the kayaks that likes to go straight, regardless of what you want to do. This is why it has a rudder, to help you turn. I am not saying this to be derogatory, as some people only like to go straight.

For your weight, take a look at the Impex Assateague. I have had one for a couple years, and I am heavier than you are. This is a performance touring kayak with a skeg. It has enough straight line performance to satisfy most paddlers,and enough rocker to make it easily turnable. Plus the Skeg helps it go straight on a windy day. You can read my review on it here on M-Net.

Just a quick comparison on big kayaks for you.

hard to turn + rudder
I never quite got that combo. Once you throw a rudder on the kayak it TRACKS. Putting a tracking device on a hard to turn kayak just seems like gilding the lily. With a deployable tracking aid you make something stiffer tracking. Why not have a maneuverable kayak with a rudder?

Racing kayaks seem to have loose aft ends, the rudder takes care of that.

I could see a stiff tracking kayak that weathercocks needing a rudder but the Solstices really don’t weathercock, that stern is pretty resistant to movement. In high winds I see people getting blown sideways in them if they don’t maintain adequate forward speed, with a maneuverable kayak you aren’t as dependant on speed to point higher.

For me it’s a safety issue, at some point the inability to turn around quickly becomes a liability in a rescue situation.

At demos that had some wind I’ve seen a lot of under 150lb women go out in Solstices and just weren’t able to turn them with sweep strokes, and if they slammed the rudder over they had to have enough hp to move the ends against the waves.

Which is all kind of ironic given the fantastic small boat selection CD has out now,and no smaller ruddered composite kayaks.

thanks
Thank you all for your input. I will let you know how it all works out.

another boat to look at
would be the Nanook from boreal, great boat for bigger guys. bout 17’ 10" i think, 23 inch beam. probally can take up to about size 13-14 feet (just a geuss, hell I’m a size 9) nice handling boat, tried one we have at work, bit big for me at 5’ 7" and 190 lbs, but the last guy to buy one was 6’1" bout 230 and size 12 1/2 feet and loved the fit.