Cell phone dry pouch

I have a galaxy s8 active in a rather thick case. Can anyone recommend one of those dry pouches with a cord big enough to fit it? The all look the same on Amazon but t I’m sure quality varies.

Dry-pac ones work good for me.

Yes I have iPhone 6s + in a otter box defender this field and stream one fits. Hard to find they were at Dicks, not now but here is URL https://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field-stream-floating-waterproof-cell-phone-pouch-17fnsuwtrprffltngfma/17fnsuwtrprffltngfma

My wife has been using a Frieq case for 4 years now. They are inexpensive - $6 - and hers has held up well…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013DPSPYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heavy duty zip lock bag.

Aquapac has done a good job protecting my electronics. https://aquapacusa.com/

It looks like there’s a plethora of models available but they all look the same size. I have one that came with a dry bag combo I bough the but it is too tight for my phone with the case I have. My phone is a tad over 6" by 3.5" by .5".

@l2t said:
It looks like there’s a plethora of models available but they all look the same size. I have one that came with a dry bag combo I bough the but it is too tight for my phone with the case I have. My phone is a tad over 6" by 3.5" by .5".

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Waterproof-Armband-Samsung-Blue-Black/dp/B07FL1X7XY

It has a lanyard so you can tether it anywhere you wish.

As with any bag claiming it’s waterproof, test before using. Place a nonelectronic whatever in the bag, then seal and leave it in a bucket of water for 20 or 30 minutes.

Heavy duty zip lock bag.<

Good way to ruin a phone.

If the thing costs enough to protect, spend the money to get a REAL dry case that WILL protect it.
AND…
Lanyard that phone to your PFD, deck-bag, dry hatch, whatever. Ken’s expensive cell is being used by the fish because he ‘oops’ the thing while on a river.

I use a Pelican box.

Seconding Aquapac. Also recently switched to a dedicated waterproof case for my phone so that I could take pictures with it using the touchscreen. Has a cord to tether to a D-ring. There are dozens; I went with a “Lunatik” brand that’s been good, even through some wet exit/self-rescue practice.

I have been using this series of cell phone dry bags since 2013. I’ve been swimming a few times with them, salt and sweet water, and my phones survived very well.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seattle-sports--e-merse-original-waterproof-smartphone-case-yellow--13022926?recordNum=6

PS……….The only phone I’ve drowned fell out of my dress shirt pocket into the ice cooler.

This is the system I use with my S7. It’s just a loop of cord around 6 feet long. I then loop it around one of the holes in the phone case. When paddling I just stick one end of the loop through a belt loop and drop the phone through the loop and then drop it in my front pocket and voila the phone is tethered to me but still accessible. The S7 is water resistant and I’ve tested mine twice (accidentally) with no negative effects. Yours should be even better. I want to use my phone to take pictures so the tether gives me peace of mind in case I go spastic and fling the phone in the water. I’ve found that if my phone is in a waterproof case or even a ziplock bag I miss out on about 90% of the pictures I want to take.

Lots of you have already heard me sing the praises of my waterproof IP-whatever rated smart phone, so I’ll make it brief. I regularly roll and swim with my Kyocera Brigadier. No additional protection needed. I’ll probably get the newer model when I’ve had this one longer than most people keep a phone.

Progress is being made with immersion tolerant phones, but too slowly for my liking. That, and I think every phone should have a lanyard attachment point like mine. I’ll miss it if I ever need to upgrade to something without.

Agree with sparky that every phone should have a lanyard attachment. Kind of makes one wonder why the big phone manufacturers don’t include that feature.

I’m a canoer so happy to risk occasional dunkings with my S7. My high security system is either a ziplock freezer bag which can be stowed in a pants pocket or front pocket of a day pack, or a plastic peanut butter jar that fits in a beverage pouch on the outside of my daypack. For some reason I have never grown attached to dry boxes.

@RikJohnson said:

Heavy duty zip lock bag.<

Good way to ruin a phone.

If the thing costs enough to protect, spend the money to get a REAL dry case that WILL protect it.
AND…
Lanyard that phone to your PFD, deck-bag, dry hatch, whatever. Ken’s expensive cell is being used by the fish because he ‘oops’ the thing while on a river.

I would never carry a cell phone on my PFD. i carry an ICOM VHF on my pfd.

About 10 years I bought these heavy duty Ziploc brand dry bags at an outfitter in Saranac Lake, NY. They are great for many items, just don’t see them for sale any more. These are not the Super market variety.

I ended up getting this one a Kona Submariner Plus Size Universal Waterproof Phone Case. It fits the S8 active with the somewhat thicker protective case I have on it…

I didn’t want to go the route of a permanent waterproof case so i think I’ll be fine with this lanyard style pouch. The S8 active is already water resistant to five feet (but not recommend for salt water) and I don’t take it out when I’m actually paddling. I put my phone in the pouch and then put it in my dry bag, then in a hatch. So it’s pretty much triple protected. It’s in the pouch mostly so that if I’m fumbling for something in my dry bag with wet hangs, I don’t get the phone wet.

I like the Loksac in a pocket. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loksak&dc&crid=2BZS7EN0RXYJ2&sprefix=lok+&ref=a9_sc_1

@TomL said:
Agree with sparky that every phone should have a lanyard attachment. Kind of makes one wonder why the big phone manufacturers don’t include that feature.

I’m a canoer so happy to risk occasional dunkings with my S7. My high security system is either a ziplock freezer bag which can be stowed in a pants pocket or front pocket of a day pack, or a plastic peanut butter jar that fits in a beverage pouch on the outside of my daypack. For some reason I have never grown attached to dry boxes.

Now I know what to do with those empty peanut butter jars!