Cell Phone Increases Paddling Speed

Let me explain.

I was out on a lake yesterday enjoying myself immensely. I had spotted a blue heron nearby, and was coasting over to have a look. As I stealthily approached, my cell phone rang, blasting “She’s a Brick… HOUSE, She’s mighty, mighty…” Needless to say, the heron took off as I put away the camera, and juggled the cell phone, trying to drop neither. The call was far from an emergency.

In my anger and determination to get a nice photo, I hit heretofor unattained speed as I crossed the 500 or so yards to near where the bird had landed in about 6 seconds. It was nearly a case of “lake rage” except that I channeled the anger into paddle strokes. The cell phone was now off, and I got a photo.

Although I will still carry a cell phone for emergencies, the damn thing will always be OFF from now on!

Zippo

My embarassing moment…
I am a college professsor and it is common in class for some student to fail to turn off their cell phone. Then there typically is some loud song played when their phone rings and interrupts the class. I don’t make a very big deal out of it, just a small glare, and that is a good thing because one day I forgot to turn off my own cell phone and it rang in the middle of my lecture.

I hate
cellphones. I can’t wait until I retire…the first thing I’m going to do is run over the darn thing with my car.

Yup ,off before getting in the boat.
Among the last things I do before getting into my kayak is turn off my cell phone and, along with my car keys, put it in a Voyager dry bag clipped behind my seat.

BTW - I also teach college. Part of my routine as I start each class is to pull out my cell phone, and while turning it off request that the students do the same. I do add that if anyone is responsible for the well being of a child or elderly parent, that they turn their cell phone to vibrate and take it outside if they get a call.

ring ring
I keep my cell phone on while paddling because I like to be able to have family contact ME if THEY have an emergency.

I’m a college student and once in a while a professor will actually take a call in class if their cell phone rings. It’s kind of humerous actuallly…

And just what
can you do about a “family emergency” while paddling? I am one of those folks who doesn’t have a cell phone and never will. One of my pet peaves is people talking loudly (are these things like a couple of cans and a string?) on their cell phone while strolling by in the store, sidewalk, airport etc. Why do they have to YELL?

When I go out in my kayak, it is “me” time.

Yeah…
I don’t want to have ME time while a family member is dying or needs help. I’m not that selfish. If I got a call saying someone needs me I would cut my trip short.

I too get annoyed by people constantly driving and using cell phones. Also when people get out of class the first thing they do is dial someone up. Can’t they walk to their next class in solitude?

Ederly Parents
I got my cell phone because of the amount of time I was spending enroute to and from and taking care of elderly parents in and out of the hospital.

They both passed away, the last, my mother, two years ago tomorrow. I no longer have to worry about missing a life and death call while paddling.

BTW - No professor should take a call while teaching unless it is life and death or directly related to the class she/he is teaching.

Cell Phone Increases Paddling Speed
It seems to work for soccer moms in SUV’s around here why not paddlers.

Turn it off
I dropped my phone into the water once and it survived. I think it being OFF helps. Powered circuit and water don’t mixed at all, instant spark and your phone is fried. With it off, you may still have a chance. Just let it dry…

Not avocating dropping your phone into the water regularly. But if your zip-lock bag failed, a phone that’s off stands a much better chance than one that’s on.

Your photo
Hey there, could you post the picture? I know I have trouble paddling fast enough to catch those dag-gone birds if I miss my picture. So I would like to vicariously live through you.

And as far as everyone elses phone pet-peves. I don’t have a cell phone anymore, but I had one. It was always off when out on the water. Now I work in a retail store. I may be the lowly custodian, but I may sometimes need to run a cash register. If a customer won’t get off the phone to get their purchase rung up, then I will wait. I CAN’T STAND IT, I used to take calls whe i was out, but not if I have to deal with another person that is present! It takes maybe two minuets to ring up a purchase, either put the phone down or hang up. How deathly important can your call AND your name brand merchandise (at discount prices) be that you must do both at once?

So hang up and enjoy your time on the water,

Liveoutside

Photo - video
I actually have a short video clip that I shot as well. The photo turned out poorly, but the video was not too bad. I’ll post a link tonight.

Zippo

Nothing I could do about it anyway
I’m sufficiently far away from family (By design) that even if I knew something was happening, I couldn’t do anything about it.

So, I don’t see that as a valid reason to get a cell phone. Nobody needs to talk to me that badly that it can’t wait until I get home. Humans survived 10,000 years without them, and I’ll gladly add my lifetime to that tally.

Besides, I used to work for the claims administrator for a cell phone component manufacturer — they used to pay brain cancer claims without question & force people to sign an agreement saying they can’t talk about the subject. This same tactic was used by tobacco companies, asbestos manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and auto manufacturers (SUV rollover claims) for years before the true hazards of the products became public knowledge. I won’t even stand near someone who’s talking on one. It may not be a true hazard, but I don’t care — my brain is too valuable to me to risk it based on my experience. Others may disagree & think it would be an improvement… :wink:

Wayne