Cell phone, pda, gps bags....

pelican box
i use a pelican box for my camera, and it works great. it’s been totally submerged with the camera in it a couple times and the camera has never gotten wet. for my phone i use a drybag, that way when i check the weather or if i have to make a call i don’t have to take it out of the bag, since i can just see through it and the sound doesn’t get muffled at all.

Dry Pak
makes a small cell phone dry-bag for $11.95

I use one for my camera

the bag has air pouches so that it also floats

supposedly you can talk & listen through the case (but I don’t know how well that works as I don’t take a phone out paddling)

Pelican case…

– Last Updated: Aug-15-07 2:52 PM EST –

Don't own a cell phone.
Don't own a GPS.

Camera, lens, and extra film is carried in Pelican case.

First thing I did (after purchase) was test it for waterproofness.
Kept it submerged in tub for 8 hours; never leaked a drop. Since then (over 7 years) it has been involved in several class 3 whitewater immersions; never leaked a drop.

BOB

Aquapac and dry bag
I keep my GPS on the deck and want to be able to operate it, so use an Aquapac. I’m not in a particularly humid climate, so only get condensation if I open it while it’s wet, get a drop of water inside, and close it again.

My keys, wallet, and cell phone (turned off) go in with the rest of my emergency kit in a dry bag in the day hatch.

I like the Nalgene bottle idea, too, for water tightness an quick access. Maybe not so good for shock.

Money aside, if you might need to use the cell phone for an emergency on rough water, possibly while out of your boat, it seems an Aquapac would be a good idea. I’ve been too cheap to do that. I’ll have a VHF radio within a month, too.

Slightly O.T., but I also keep a separate car key permanently tethered to my PFD and in the pocket, with my whistle and compass. I find it very handy. Just a cheap one without the transponder on it, to get in the door or trunk. That way no biggie if salt water corrodes it. I rinse it or suck on it before putting it in the lock if in salt water.

Paul

I keep my PDA in my
desk drawer

my cell phone I keep in my briefcase

my TV sits in my living room

washer and dryer in the laundry room

what is this thing you call “G-P-S”?

?
>what is this thing you call “G-P-S”?<

It’s the thing that tells you where you’re when you’re in the fog.

If you thoroughly understand
the waters in which you paddle you won’t need a GPS even in the fog.

No, I’m going to use one of my

– Last Updated: Aug-15-07 8:52 PM EST –

VHF-FM radios. That way I'm not bothered by a cell phone belching out some tinny tune or hear somebody talking to no one in the group (damn rude, I say). I think I mentioned the radios. Just checked and yes, I did mention it. (response to dryer's post)

GPS…
makes a fine speed measuring tool. I prefer map and compass for nav. GPS for paddle boats are like bike computers on bikes.

I agree. I gave my GPS to my
motorboating brother. I also never figured it out.

I’m curious
Do you wear a watch when paddling, or do you prefer to estimate the time some other way?

Hint: GPS is to location as watch is to time. It’s not the only way to measure it, but …

Paul

because nobody should ever paddle in water that they don’t know like the back of their hand. that might require bringing some of those deplorable electronic thingies

AquaPac…
Google it…

Pelican boxes…
…Here’s a different opinion: Pelican boxes ARE waterproof. After more than 20 years of use and abuse I have never had a problem with the three we own. One regularly holds more than $3K of camera equipment. We pay little or no attention to it, just because we KNOW (not think, but KNOW) that it is watertight. Each to his own…

No leaks also
Pelican will replace a leaky box. I have one that is around 10 years old and is still water tight. They will retain moisture if you get water inside them like with a wet hand or splash while they are open. Keep a towel or drying cloth with you and make sure your hands are dry before you open it.

The best information I’ve found about
keeping stuff dry is at www.thewaterproofstore.com. There’s a lot of good info as well as a place to buy things that are really designed to stay dry in a marine environment. Not all waterproof is created equal. And the stuff that really does the job is not cheap. No affiliation. Just a delighted customer.

If something gets wet in a pelican case, it could have been condensation. You need to have dessicant in a case or bag with electronics to keep air inside the bag from condensing. The Waterproof store sells that too, but you can reuse the ones that come in things like medicine bottles, etc.

Stuff
I use a large tree trunk I carved for a my kayak. Why do you fools use synthetic materials for your kayaking and canoeing.

Why carry a cellphone, who ever has trouble. I know all of you, where you go, what you’re doing, you don’t have emergencies or need help, ever.

Why do you need a camera, the picture is in your head, I can describe to any one what I saw.

As with one of the other posters it amazes me how people judge everything. A simple questions was asked, if you care to not carry a phone, a camera, a gps, safety equipment that is your choice.

Thank you to all of you who provided helpful information, it’s much appreciated.

I need two watches
to figure my longitude

silica gel
No matter what you use, I would seriously suggest you toss i na few packet sof silica gel to absorb the humidity.

I saw a guy place his GPS in a pelican case o na sea trip.

Itworked. kept the gps dry but… the heat caused so much fog inside the case he couldn’t read the GPS.

I collect those silica gel packs that come in radiios and Tvs and use them to absorb the moisture when I seal the bag.

In response to gulfcoaster’s comments;
First, have you ever considered that maybe not all paddlers out there kayak to “escape from it all;” just because you may, doesn’t make it the reason for others. Secondly, if you don’t like using electronic items on the water, then why did you even respond in this thread, clearly you were not going to give advice on the best way to protect gear. Lastly, not all of us “grew up with it and in it” as you, so we must rely on these fancy electronic devices to ensure our safety and peace of mind on the water. I’m not trying to offend you, I am just saying that just because someone doesn’t do things the way you think they should be done, doesn’t make it wrong or rude.