Cell Phones

This is just to let some of you paddlers or fishing persons that normally will have their cell phones with them. Like I do on all my fishing trips always carried my cell phone, well I just want to let everyone know that you don’t need to put you cell phone in dry bag anymore. I purchased my new phone from Verizon and I had 2 choices on them Both are drop and shock proof and also they are water proof and guaranteed on being water proof. Mine is the Commando military style. The other one was just more things on it and the price was higher. They both are Samsung phones. I had already tried to see if it was Waterproof and dropped it in a bucket of water, and still is working.

phone
Dennis, thanks. That is a nice phone. However Aqua-phone makes a better one. You can make a call while totally submerged in up to 150 ft. of water.

I use it quite often since I bought a canoe.

No AT&T
It might be interesting to hear others’ experiences, but I’d say ANYTHING OTHER THAN AT&T. They provide very poor coverage along the coasts except around major population areas. They provide zero customer service. Data, like with an air card, is even worse. We spent several months traveling along the Gulf and SE coasts, and had pretty much 0-G service from Pensacola to Cumberland and beyond. Only when we reached Savannah did we get service, and then they charged me three-times the minutes. We were charged a whole month’s service after just four days. When we contacted them, AT&T kept stalling for a month, and then said the information was too old for them to act on. They then charged us $122 is disable a service that had never worked in the first place. I haven’t used them yet, but input from others working along the coasts is that both Verizon and TracPhone both work better.

Samsung?
Not to bash Samsung - they make some nice stuff, but as far as “resistant” phones go they suck big time compared to say, Sonim. OK, Sonim IS a brick and you can use it as additional ballast in a kayak - and it does little but allow you to call people (forget e-mail and Angry Birds) - but as far as “kayak-enabled” phones go, it is pretty much king of the hill, IMO.

Skip the sissy phone

– Last Updated: Mar-24-12 5:22 PM EST –

Like to live on water, near water, in water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gg8S9DMVE

Go Sonim
http://www.sonimtech.com/products/

I’d guess…
…that if I was "…totally submerged in up to 150 ft. of water… " a phone call would not be high on my list. But full tank of heliox and a regulator would do nicely :slight_smile:

Water resistant but not
guaranteed by Verizon as that is what the staff told me. You would need to take out the insurance just like any other phone for it to be replaced. Not sure if different stores tell different stories but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Only a few feet make a difference

– Last Updated: Mar-24-12 11:24 PM EST –

Water is over 800 times more dense (heavier/thicker)
-- than air.
At about 10ft of water, pressure is close
to 4 pounds per square inch on an object.
Draw a square one inch by inch for visualization,
now look at your phone and smile :-)

You can't even breathe through a pipe/hose
laying on the bottom of a residential pool
since your ribcage/lungs simply won't function.

Insure you electronics, data, info if it has ANY
chance of dropping into more than 12 inches of water
i.e. off a boat, off a dock, off anything.

Notice many tests are simply in a bucket,
a fish tank, a bathtub, etc., etc.
How may have you seen with snorkels, masks,
and scuba gear for waterproof phones
- without specially designed outer cases...?

BUT!!!
Does it float???

Yep
That is the key item. Nothing else counts.

Make it float
Does your cell phone have a spot to “tether”

or will it need an outer case of some kind ?

Might want this attached when on water

http://www.imprintitems.com/keychains/floating