Cent. FL no shuttle trip.

I am trying to find somewhere to do a 1 or 2 night, flat water trip in mid February that does not require a shuttle. I do not want open water as I will be in a large canoe with a 6 year old. Will be coming from south Ala and do not want to go much past Tampa area. 6 year old does not like cold (and his mother will not let him go with me if below 50 degrees night time).

If it is a warm weekend, I can find something up here or in North Fla.

Thanks,

Joe

Post on getting together and paddling
I had great luck with the Flordia P-netters over the christmas holidays. Wonderful people with big hearts and lots of knowledge. I met up with a couple of them and paddled the Silver River. There might already be something posted that you can join up with.

a few suggestions
Paddle down then back on the Ocklawaha from Ray Wayside pk on SR40 (add Silver R if you can handle the upstream current

Up & back on the Peace R from Zolfo Springs

Tour de Mosquito lagoon w/ a campsite from Canaveral Nat. Seashore

Camp @ Alexander Springs & daytrip the local springruns. (A. springs is very EZ 2 way paddle to St John’s R & back)

Myakka River SP & daytrip Myakka

Great Calusa Blueway w/ free camp on Picnic key

Drive farther than intended & trip ENP from Everglades City

Dothan, to the above great

– Last Updated: Jan-14-09 1:23 AM EST –

suggestions, I would add: Ichetucknee River (near High Springs)and the Rainbow River (further south . . . can't remember it it's near Dunedin or Dunellon - I have always gotten names those mixed up.) These would be day trips. Consider paddling where you may see manatees (example: Crystal River)and also make yourself and child aware of alligator life in some areas you may be paddling.

If you want a guide, I can heartily recommend Lars Anderson at Adventure Outpost, in High Springs. He kayak-paddles an old Wenonah with a big duct tape patch in the middle, where a bull alligator bit it. Lars is quite a naturalist and excellent with all the history of the area.

By your handle, I take it you're from Dothan, AL. I went to Army Aviation School, near there, many years ago . . . bet it's changed over the years.

one more
you could also spend a pleasant 2 days on the connected Rock Springs Run & Wekiva river N of Orlando. Backcountry campsites on RSR are available from Wekiwa Springs SP if you want more remote camping than in campground. Both are easily paddled both directions. I hope to also check out connected Black Water Creek later this Winter. Enjoy !