Change of Paddling Venue

Saturday brought warm temps, sunshine but no waves. Instead of my surf crafts, I grabbed the Hornbeck canoe and fishing equipment for a trip to a local pond located in a reservation 40 minutes from home.

The trees were just filling out and blossoms were popping.

Even though I was just 40 minutes from home, it felt like I was in wilderness because some folks before had the foresight to push for the preservation of green spaces near the city in which civilization did not intrude. I am sure 50 years ago, it would have felt even more wild. However, in this modern age, reminders of civilization can be traced across the sky, if not on the shoreline.

My fishing reflexes are dulled from winter. Had four hits and failed to set the hook sufficiently to land the fish. Oh well, it was a good start to the fishing season.

sing

And all this time I thought you were strictly a surfer !

I was trying to guess what pond/lake that was since I was born and brought up in Bean town, but gave up, so now I ask what is the name of it ?

Ponkapoag Pond in the Blue Hills Reservation. Here is my Ponkapoag paddling predecessor from way back.

http://www.thecantoncitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/canoe_ponkapoag1.jpg

sing

Thanks
I was there a few times on my old single speed, but I was visualizing you heading to some place west or north of Boston

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

That was a pleasant paddle. No fishing tho’, as it was more a water bird hunting expedition for Paris… LOL!

sing

@sing said:

That was a pleasant paddle. No fishing tho’, as it was more a water bird hunting expedition for Paris… LOL!

sing

She actually made friends with trumpeter swans

That inflatable looks a lot more comfy for Paris than the hard shell.

@Rookie said:

Use it quite a bit for that reason

I thought Paris made good use and enjoyed resting on the green yoga mat towards the end of the paddle. :slight_smile:

sing

And Paris thinks:

“Little dark tunnel,
you look so forlorn.
Why on water whenst entered
wouldst any blast on their horn?”

OK. OK. Maybe she’s really thinking,
“Don’t let that that dude in the sloppy-floppy be the lead dog, daddio!”

Whenst way with the swan
I’m really quite fond,
to strike a Proust pose,
Madonna’s Paris blonde.

“Don’t let that that dude in the sloppy-floppy be the lead dog, daddio!”

Another reason I like surfing more. I get to wear sleek, black wetsuits, topped with a cool but functional blue composite helmet.

Paddling around in warm weather, yeah, have to wear the “sloppy-floppy” stuff for sun protection. Just another (post) middle age dude lily dipping along… :persevere:

sing

@Rookie said:

She is making herself at home

That look is Paris saying, “Hey, time to head back in now. No birds, seals, dophins or whales to hunt.” :expressionless:

sing