Changing the view?

Is there any way to display posts as a threaded discussion? The continuous blog-style list makes it a pain to find sub-threads and seems like a major step backwards in usability.

@bnystrom said:
Is there any way to display posts as a threaded discussion? The continuous blog-style list makes it a pain to find sub-threads and seems like a major step backwards in usability.

Sorry, there’s no threaded comments in the new system. While I agree that it’s unfortunate we couldn’t preserve the threaded context of discussions from the old system, I don’t think threaded comments are inherently better. They have advantages and disadvantages when compared to linear comments with quoting and “@ replying”.

Here’s a rationale from the makers of the open-source forum software: https://blog.vanillaforums.com/philosophy/why-vanilla-no-nested-comments/

I don’t mind - especially since there is now a good "Quote function.

I think I prefer flat comments too. With the previous version, especially with threads with very many responses you could almost get lost in the nesting. Also now it is much easier to see when new responses are added to threads.

Oh, and having the breadcrumbs available is also a big plus.

FWIW, I greatly prefer threaded discussion over linear for forums. I prefer functionality over looks and commercialization but I guess according to the vanilla forums designer that I’m a dinosaur as the link referenced above says “Early forum software used nested replies and some people still prefer this format. These are probably the same people who think you should still be able to buy leaded gasoline.” Nice. I suppose the design team wants everything to look like Facebook where a “clean” chronological format allows maximum real-estate for selling advertisements.

@gstamer said: “These are probably the same people who think you should still be able to buy leaded gasoline.”

You mean that terrible 100+ octane fuel that made muscle cars possible? :wink:

The real reason is that the software designers are simply lazy and don’t want to provide the option of threaded comments, which are far more functional. They can make up all the BS excuses they want, but it’s not going to change that fact. Frankly, I don’t see myself spending a lot of time here in the future, as I’m not going to wrestle with this site.

Regardless of the motivation, a threaded format is what we are all accustomed to on Pnet. It also allows the reader to scan the threads quickly for topics and or authors. This linear format requires one to scan the entire thread, and conversations may look disjointed,

@Andy_Szymczak

True, the threaded format was in place on Pnet. When there were long threads sometimes I’d have to use the search function in Chrome to find the most recent post. I use the “Recent Discussions” tab here to check on updated threads. I’ve found that clicking the thread generally takes me to the most recent post. I’ve also set up notifications in my account so I can keep track.

That said, I’m quite content to be able to continue learning here so the format is secondary. Doesn’t take much to keep me happy.

Keep in mind that this forum is now using Vanilla, which is a fairly lightweight, open source, forum software package. It may well just not have the feature set or tailoring options to accommodate everyone’s wish list.

Personally, I still think it’s a huge step up from the antiquated forum we had before.

Personally, I still think it’s a huge step up from the antiquated forum we had before.

I’ve been on other forums and when you get used to this format, especially with the quote option, it makes sense.