Charles River

Where can I park and put my kayak the Charles River? I just moved to Charlestown and am looking for a place to drop in and going. Thanks

Local Put-ins
check this link for Charles River and more. Welcome to the “Town.”

http://www.nspn.org/play-put-ins.html

sing

Thanks
Thanks that is a great help.

A couple of years ago…
we put in at Magazine beach in Cambridge.

You can paddle down to the basin, or head up towards the lower falls at Watertown.

cheers,

JackL

Launch site/public landings

– Last Updated: May-20-04 9:11 PM EST –

The Charles River Watershed Association publishes a little map/mileage guide for the Charles River from the Galen Street Bridge (linking Newton and Watertown) all the way to the Museum of Science. It notes all public boat landings along this stretch -- there are a total of 10.

You can order the map/guide from their website at www.crwa.org. Click on "Recreation" then "Access Map."

Hi, I'm back again -- CRWA has a new guidebook with maps for $12.50. Click on "Publications" then "Paddling Guide."

http://www.crwa.org/index.html?wavestop.html&0

Watch out during the Dems convention
traffic will be restricted.

Two excellent books which
include put-in information, trip ideas, and history, are:

McAdow’s “The Charles River”

Tougias’s “Exploring the Hidden Charles.”

The lower part of the river (the 10 miles from the new white suspension bridge at the locks up to the dam at Watertown Square) is quite man-made. Its history is documented in the hefty tome “Inventing the Charles River.”

I paddle the Charles at least once a week, usually launching from the Charles River Canoe and Kayak rental kiosk on Soldier’s Field Road in Allston, which is near my house. Maybe I’ll run into you some day. If you’re free on a weekday morning and want a tour, I’d be happy to oblige–just send me an email.

Sanjay

Addendum
If you’re headed out on the salt water side of the Charles, below the locks and past the USS Constitution and Charlestown, out to Logan Airport, prepare yourself to meet the Coast Guard or Harbor Police. I used to paddle this area, the Mystic River, and the rest of inner Boston Harbor regularly, but gave up because I didn’t like being approached by people carrying guns, esp. since I am deaf and might not understand them. Also, if there is a natural gas tanker pulling in, they will clear you off the inner harbor summarily. Windswept outer Boston Harbor is prettier anyway.

Sanjay

Great Help
Thanks everyone. All this info is a great help. I hope to see some of you out on the water. I paddle a red Perception Sea Lion. If you see me don’t hesitate to stop me. I’m pretty new to kayaking but am very interested in learning some new stuff. Thanks again.