Chatham vs. NDK Explorer

I’m looking at a couple used kayaks, both composite. Any comments on a Necky Chatham vs. a NDK Explorer? Looking for something I can camp out of, touring in a variety of conditions, good initial and secondary stability. Haven’t paddled the Chatham yet but I own a Romany and have tried the Explorer. The Chatham is a better price, but is a bit of a drive to get to.

Which Chatham? 16? 17? 18?

Chatham vs. NDK Explorer
Sorry, it is the Chatham 17 composite that I am looking at.

romany to explorer
What did you think of the explorer? I have the romany but might consider some day getting the explorer for a variety of reasons.

Chatham vs. NDK Explorer
For me, the Explorer has a similar stability profile but is much better tracking. In following seas, does not get pushed around as much on wave tops, especially with skeg deployed. It should be noted, my Romany does not have a skeg. Seems like it would be much easier to cover distance in the Explorer while still possessing the familiar stability. Definitely more difficult to turn but still responsive on edge. More space for camping. Just wondering if the Chatham 17 is a similar design approach for less $$$ and lbs.

Try to it in the Chatham and try it …
Make sure you are OK with the ergonomics of the cockpit. The 17 that another paddler has was not the friendliest of cockpits for both of us - hard to balance brace compared to other kayaks… But the newer ones coming out of the current factory are well built and light.

Try to it in the Chatham and try it …
Sounds like it is worth the 2 hr. drive to check the Chatham out? Any insights about the hull shape vs. the Explorer?

Try the Chatham
The Chatham 17 was developed with the consultation of a number of top paddlers, many of whom were Explorer devotees. It attempts to fill the same niche with greater refinement. It is worth trying the Chatham and seeing how you like it compared to an Explorer.