Cheap Fish Finder

I see some recommending an $80 unit from Cabelas. Im just concerned as it needs 12 Volts like from a car battery or the likes.

This is what Im looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280139311170&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Its cheap I know. Just curious if anyone has tried something this cheap? Or possibly this particular model.

I like the fact this is aimed at depth under 100 feet. The deepest area I might get into is 35’ shipping channels, with exception to the local quarries…

So Im thinking this might be the best choice.

Thoughts?

Never heard of it, that doesn’t mean
it isn’t good. As for needing 12 volts, yes (actually a bit less), but the power source does not have to be auto battery size. It doesn’t take many amps to power a depth finder. Personally, I wouldn’t buy the Ebay item.

Options from the Hawkeye thread
for powering a regular fish finder:

While it takes 12 volts, it doesn’t take a lot of amps. My Cuda 168 operates off 8 AA batteries in a battery pack from Radio Shack, it cost less than $4, and a 9-volt pig tail…the battery pack has snap connections like a 9 volt. The pigtail is wired to the finder. Many kayak fishermen use a 12 volt rechargeable deer feeder batter, about $19. Fry’s sells a 12 volt battery that’s rechargeable, puts out 1.5 amps, and is 1/2 or less the weight of the deer feeder battery, also several other rechargeables with more amps, but still smaller in size/wt. Some operate their finder off rechargeable AA’s, though it seems to take 10…one eight batter pack, one two battery pack.

On down the thread, you’ll see
discussion of housing AA batteries, taking Rouse’s idea for making a battery pack with PVC, I made a holder out of 1 1/2" PVC with end caps. Had the pipe, so the holder cost me two end caps, 99 cents each. It works so well I’m considering making some larger containers with 4" septic pipe…its lighter than regular pipe, cheaper too.

Sorry I couldn’t resist .
Hook and worm :wink:

Lead weight on a string for depth.
Mark Twain!!!. It works too.

Yes it does
Lots of species feed just of the bottom. I usually tie mine right onto the end of my rig then let her go. Reel up a foot or two off bottom and set my float stop. Then when i cast out I can get my lure, fly, bait right where they’re at.

HARBOR FREIGHT FISH FINDER
YES, SOME OF US DO NOT WANT TO BUY CHINESE…BUT ISN’T EVERYTHING GOING THAT WAY. LOOK AT THIS $39 (SALE) ITEM…OFTEN $59.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=756&pricetype=

I USE IT ALL THE TIME AND FIND FISH VERY WELL. IT WEIGHS ALMOST NOTHING…INCLUDING THE 2 AA BATTERIES STORED INSIDE THE VERY SMALL CASE. THE WIRE DANGLING OFF THE SIDE DOESN’T GET IN THE WAY IF YOU LET THE TRANSDUCER FLOAT TAKE IT JUST BEHIND THE STERN OF YOUR KAYAK.

OLLIE IN SPOKANE

fish finder
Ollie, how are you to floating the transducer? Anyone else use this fishfinder?

Ollie, how long have you been using it?

Used to float mine by attaching it to
1/2" PVC and sliding on a piece of pool noodle. Worked pretty well.

fishfinder
yakcanfish I can’t picture how you used the PVC and pool noodle to mount your transducer.

You can buy a mount that will allow
mounting a transducer to a trolling motor shaft, or at least used to be able to do so. Or, you can attach the transducer with cable ties. Its been a long time, so don’t remember exactly how I attached the transducer. As for the pipe, its somewhat trial and and error. As I remember, I used about 14" of pipe and 8-12" of pool noodle. Before connecting the wires for the finder to anything, I slipped them through the pool noodle and the noodle down over the pipe shaft. You may have to play with it to get it where the transducer is parallel to the water bottom. The one thing you need to know about floating the transducer is that if you paddle beyond just a slight movement each stroke, the transducer will not be as parallel to the bottom as you may want for an accurate read. The faster you go, the more off it will be.

transducer mount
yak.canfish You have given me more ideas of how I can mount a transducer. My yak has a narrow flat place on the stern with screws to mount a rudder. I should be able to mount a piece of PVC onto that and use the troolling motor mount on that. I had thought I may try to do something like that before, but haven’t given it much thought. Now I have a way to do it.

Transducer Mounting Option
Here’s a transducer mounting suggestion.

Attach a broom clip (spring clip for hanging brooms on the wall) on your yak so it’s reachable, but not in the way (two small holes for the screws, above the waterline. I used a large washer on the inside of the yak and a rubber washer on the outside). Attach your transducer to a wooden paint roller handle. That’s it. Cost - about $5.

You snap the roller handle into the broom clip when you want to use your finder. Snap it out when you’re just paddling (to reduce the drag) or when you want to do a side scan under the lily pads or dock.

I’ve seen several variations for SOT
fishfinder mounting, and they work in a sit inside as long its not a polylink or superlink hull like the Old Town Loons or Dirigos. The most common is to mount the transducer to the inside of the hull bottom with 3M Marine silicone sealant. Put a gob on the transducer and press it to the kayak bottom, making sure there are no air bubbles. Some rig them through the scupper hole, but I’m not sure that will work on your kayak. Others do what’s called a “wet” mount. I’m not as familiar with that. I’ll try to find you a link on texaskayakfisherman.com. Another place to look is kayakfishingstuff.com.

The problem with those methods are they are semi-permanent. Also, temp readings will be off, but the transducer will read through a single layer poly hull. I don’t find surface temp readings all that useful anyway.

Here’s a thread. I’ve seen a siimilar
mount to the one with the PVC coming out of the flush mount rod tubes.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73286

Another thread on mounting a transducer.
It includes other stuff too. On the wet mount, I believe some use vasalin rather than marine goop.

transducer mounting
yak.canfish, TY so much for all the info. The boat that was used to demonstrate the mounting, using the flush mount for the transducer is just like mine.

Thanks for all the other ideas from others also.

RouseD, a friend has his transducer
mounted as in the picture. It works, but the one thing I don’t care for when fishing with him is the squeaking when he adjusts the transducer. Maybe graphite or silicon spray would reduce that. Its not bad, but if fishing for skittish fish, adjust before you get to the area you plan to fish.

transducer
yak.canfish, I think I will go with the stern mounting for now, whenever I either get my fishfinder working, or buy a new one. I do not have a rudder on my yak yet. I could see where one would help, but my yak tracks very well without one. That idea to mount one in the flushmount rod holder may be an option later for me. Thanks for the help.